Notices

Pre Lubers

Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have to give credit to an engineer, I'd give it to GM before Merc. And as much as I hate unions, I'd also credit the guys on the assembly line before I credited a Merc engineer. But above all, proper and regular service is what keeps these things running.
So you "studied" engineering eh? Do you actually get to "practice"? Or is OSO your little outlet for your quashed dreams? What you didn't learn in engineering school is that you can't engineer perfection; there's ALWAYS a tolerance, which you seem unwilling to accept. And YOU are the ONLY one that wants to do it YOUR way...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

Riddle me this Batmen:
Which engine parts experience wear on cold startups (rank top 3)?
Which parts aren't effected by a preluber?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Riddle me this Batmen:
Which engine parts experience wear on cold startups (rank top 3)?
Which parts aren't effected by a preluber?
Can I answer this one. They are not in order, but, How is this.
Rings, Piston skirts, and Cam/Distributer gears. Hows That?
Bawana
Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Up the dosage stevesxm...the tranquility of Sint Maarten is apparently doing you no good
Or perhaps those Merc engineers you so vehemently support in another thread just dropped the ball on prelubers and cold start issues? Please, please somebody save the tens of billions of internal combustion engines around the world screaming for mercy because they're not getting prelubed.
Oh wait...what was the that needs solving here? Oh yeah, my 16yr old/1151hr motors that don't burn oil and still have great compression are a miracle because they haven't been prelubed since the day they were built...

Not trying to bash prelubers and accumulators here, they definitely have a place. Prelubers can make oil changes a breeze And any system that provides an emergency supply of pressurized oil is worth its weight in gold if/when it prevents a major catastrophe.
No pulling fingers here. But the concept behind a preluber/
accumulator is something to consider. A wet sump piston motor would surely benefit. Understanding this is simple
if oil pressure drops the acumulator would provide a momentary fail safe. this in combonation with a warning lite/buzzer may actualy save a motor.

But then again I drink way to much vodka while I type
on this thing called the internet.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you think so ? i don't believe i have EVER heard a professional engine builder say that having oil pressure BEFORE you start a dry motor isn't as good as just firing it up and waiting for the gage to move..

everything will survive for some period of time no mater how you abuse it. point here is that the systems are compact, cheap and SOLVE a genuine and real issue. if you have any mechanical empathy then you do the right things to keep your hardware alive.

this is one of those things.
As far as solving a REAL issue, I don't necessarily believe that it is. Are you saying that my engines in my vehicles that all go 200K++ and are not blown or even have had major problems when I have sold them and some that have hit 300K miles would have gone further with a pre-luber? I am not at all conviced of that.. I am not at all convinced that a pre-luber would have made any of the bearings that I have inspected during my teardown of 600 ++ horsepower engines, 800++ HP engines, could have looked better than perfect after 5 years of service. Would a pre-luber have made them look better than perfect? I think not. How many engines have you torn down and inspected for wear after these periods of time? Curious I am.....??? All I can say is that a pre luber won't hurt an engine, that's all.....By the way, my $35,000.00 dollar hardware lives just fine without it....

Last edited by ghittner; 09-19-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bawana
Can I answer this one. They are not in order, but, How is this.
Rings, Piston skirts, and Cam/Distributer gears. Hows That?
Bawana
WRONG! Bearings is the commonly part thrown out by the Pre-luber companies!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ghittner
WRONG! Bearings is the commonly part thrown out by the Pre-luber companies!!!
I was referring to the parts NOT affected by a preluber, that do have a tuff time during cold starts.
Bawana
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bawana
I was referring to the parts NOT affected by a preluber, that do have a tuff time during cold starts.
Bawana
Tha
Thanks for the clarification Bawana. My statement still stands.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Registered

Default Prelubers

ghittner, we all lived long and prosperous lives before ground wires were implemented into electrical wiring. Many of us even survived without seat belts. Diabetics even lived without insulin before it was invented.

We are safer today because most electrical circuits have a ground wire to drain off an accidental electrical short to ground instead of through our body. How many people have been saved by seat belts ? Quality of life for diabetics is better with insulin.

What's my point ?

Sure you can run any motor without a preluber. Sure they can last 1,000,000 miles without one, maybe. Might they possibly last even longer with better lubrication such as prelubrication ? Probably. If you ever have a really tired battery sometime late in the afternoon out in a cove a long way from the marina, you might be very happy you had a preluber installed. Your motor turns over much easier when prelubed. Just another "side benefit" of the preluber.

Just because you've done well before something new is invented doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. Not to me anyway. Do you honestly feel there's just no room for improvement in the lubrication area and that prelubing should not be considered an improvement ?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Registered

I said it wouldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Pre Lubers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.