1987 454 mag 330hp??

Notices

1987 454 mag 330hp??

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghittner
Lunati 612/ 612 lift, 112 Deg lobe center w/ no reversion issues...duration I can find for you, great cam with excellent dock etiquette. I would run this again for a non blown application. Do you need a part #????
Wow, that is a big cam. Is it roller or flat tappet?

Yeah, I'd like to have a part number.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes, you need the oil cooler with the extra power. I know this sounds screwy but I have that also. The company sent me two of the one I'm using because I thought I was going to a dual engine in the future. it is a P/s and Oill cooler like stock. I also have the custom pushrods for this setup that you will need for the Merlin heads. As far as the peanut ports? My opinon is throw them away. They will never make power in the range you are looking for. NEVER. Start with the GOOD basics. This combo took my boat from 46 MPH to 63 MPH Fact on GPS.
WHat custom pushrods? You need custom bolts, but I have been using regular stock length pushrods and havn't had any issues.

Help me out here. My rollers are hitting the middle of the valve like they are supposed to also.

Just checking because I have not heard of this with the thickeer heads like merlins and darts etc.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Wow, that is a big cam. Is it roller or flat tappet?

Yeah, I'd like to have a part number.

Thanks.
Roller worked awesome. 50274 LUN
Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

WHat custom pushrods? You need custom bolts, but I have been using regular stock length pushrods and havn't had any issues.

Help me out here. My rollers are hitting the middle of the valve like they are supposed to also.

Just checking because I have not heard of this with the thickeer heads like merlins and darts etc.
I allways measure pushrod length on any build and I had these made @ Herberts to optimize the valvetrain geometry.. If you want the lengths I can get then 4u...
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

ghittner, I had a question for you back on Post #11 (first paragraph) I was kind of curious about---don't know if you may have missed it. Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KAAMA
ghittner, I had a question for you back on Post #11 (first paragraph) I was kind of curious about---don't know if you may have missed it. Thanks

I am curious too. What do you want for those dust collecting parts? I have a 454 mag 1989, stock.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Roller worked awesome. 50274 LUN
That is a pretty big cam. I am going to try it on one of my 582's and see if it wakes them up.

Hey KAAMA, you can get away with using a lot of those stock parts out of the 330. We actually have a boat with a 10-71 blower and 100 NOS shot running 2 old short blocks off of a 330 merc. We did change the pistons, pins and bearing, but are still using stock crank and rods. We rarely break a rod or have a crank issue. We do break a lot of valves and cams that are supposed to be high end aftermarket. These engines have been to 7000. We started putting 6k limited from MSD on them. Not sure how much longer they will run, but they have 2 good seasons on them. Shouldn't be any problem fo you at all to make a 500hp motor with them.

My .02 contribution to the discusion.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Did you also re-use the stock cast crank, 3/8" rods, and cast pistons while upgrading the HP to 425hp from the Merc 330 ??? Or did you swap to all forged internals? Do you happen to remember what RPM it made 425hp at?

About 5 years ago my cousin rebuilt his Merc 330's. He went to 461cid, retained the same stock cast cranks, 3/8" rods, and installed new cast pistons and 2-bolt main blocks. The only thing he did to upgrade the stock rods was had them shot peened, and replaced the stock rod bolts with ARP rod bolts and reconditioned, had the rotating assemblies completely balanced and the blocks align honed.

He used some old JUNK GM large oval port semi open chamber heads that he had JimV install 2.19" intake valves and 1.85" extaust valves and did some bowl/pocket port short side radius work on the heads. Funny, the 1.88" exhaust valves did not work/flow as well in that particular head because of the way the chamber was designed....the 1.88" valves actually were too large and did not flow as near as well as the smaller 1.85" exhaust valves...at least in this reference.

He used a hydraulic flat tappet cam of 218*/226* (at .050" lift) .515"/.515" lift on 110* lobes, dual plane intake manifold, Holley 830cfm carb, and had the cylinders in the blocks all "bore notched" to unshroud the valves for better flow, 8.6 comp ratio, 32* of timing, and they made 461hp @5100rpm and 510 lbs of torque at 3600rpm on Tom Earhart's dyno with car dyno tubular headers.

Torque stayed very flat up to 5000rpm. He could have used a cam with more duration, but we wanted to keep the RPM's at about 5000-5200rpm because of the cast pistons just to be safe.

The engines were installed in a 1988 32' Baja and I think it would be fair to assume that the engines have lost about 25HP going from the dyno headers to a dry piped GIL exhaust manifold in the boat. He has only tried one set of props (went from a 21" 3-blade to a 25" 3-blade) and said he picked up 10mph in the midrange and on top.
Cast Crank, stock 4 bolt block, l think the pistons were stock or a stock type but 10:1.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
I am curious too. What do you want for those dust collecting parts? I have a 454 mag 1989, stock.
Give me a call to discuss if you are interested. 949-701-0900. Greg
Old 09-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey KAAMA, you can get away with using a lot of those stock parts out of the 330. We actually have a boat with a 10-71 blower and 100 NOS shot running 2 old short blocks off of a 330 merc. We did change the pistons, pins and bearing, but are still using stock crank and rods. We rarely break a rod or have a crank issue. We do break a lot of valves and cams that are supposed to be high end aftermarket. These engines have been to 7000. We started putting 6k limited from MSD on them. Not sure how much longer they will run, but they have 2 good seasons on them. Shouldn't be any problem fo you at all to make a 500hp motor with them.

My .02 contribution to the discusion.

Thanks for your input. Okay, I just want to make sure I have this straight. You have conintued using a stock Merc 330hp shortblock i.e. cast crank, GM 3/8" rods, but you have swapped out the the stock cast pistons for some forged pistons while using a supercharger and NOS on top turning them to 7000rpm???? I would have to say that is a pretty interesting and guttsey test platform!

What Make/Length boat did you put these engines in? What Brand/Part No. of valves and cams are you breaking???

Are the cams a flat tappet or roller set-up...solid/mech or hydraulic???

Please keep us posted on this. I'd like to know anymore problems you have with these super duper mutant 330's you have on steroids. You kind of remind me of "Articfriends" aka Smitty----he's another good test platform guy who trys a ton of stuff to see how it works and then passes on the results to our bennefit.

Quick Reply: 1987 454 mag 330hp??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.