1987 454 mag 330hp?? >

1987 454 mag 330hp??

Notices

1987 454 mag 330hp??

Old 09-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ghittner
Cast Crank, stock 4 bolt block, l think the pistons were stock or a stock type but 10:1.
Thanks for responding. So, besides the stock CAST crank, you're using the same stock GM 3/8" rods.......and you are still using "CAST" pistons only in 10:1 comp ratio to make 425hp....correct? What RPM were/are you turning?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

to the top
Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These threads frustrate me. I wish some one would just post the recipie for different engines. I mean its jsut a matter of putting parts together to get the results we all want. There are tons of options out there but that doesnt mean we have to use all of those options.

I know someone is willing to share different engine building recipies. Meaning block crank pistons, heads, cam intake, carb etc...

Do it for 454 block 502 and 540's. It cant be that hard its just not my area of expertice or I would do it for everyone. A thread like " how to build a stong marine engine."

From what I have learned on 454 we would want forged crank and pistons, rect port heads, roller cam(specs?) roller rockers, edelbrock dual plane intake, carb? oh and dont forget high perf exhaust.

I am not trying to get 9000 hp out of a block but 450 would be good.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

Someone who I respect once gave me this to work with. I can 64 now and would like to hit 70.

1. Edelbrock Air gap intake #EDL-7561
2. Holley 800 Carb #HLY-0-9022
3. Holley electric fuel pump #HLY-12-801-1
4. Crane cam #134561
5. Crane hydraulic lifters #99277-16
6. Crane push rods #13634-16
7. Crane timing chain #13975-1
8. Comp cams roller tip rockers #CCA-1411-16
9. MSD distributor #msd-8560
10. MSD brain box #MSD-6460

This should put you into the low 70's if you get a 23 Mirage plus prop. The 21 is too small. If this doesnt make you go as fast as you want to go...I have a motor in the corner that will.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drpete3
These threads frustrate me. I wish some one would just post the recipie for different engines. I mean its jsut a matter of putting parts together to get the results we all want. There are tons of options out there but that doesnt mean we have to use all of those options.

I know someone is willing to share different engine building recipies. Meaning block crank pistons, heads, cam intake, carb etc...

Do it for 454 block 502 and 540's. It cant be that hard its just not my area of expertice or I would do it for everyone. A thread like " how to build a stong marine engine."

From what I have learned on 454 we would want forged crank and pistons, rect port heads, roller cam(specs?) roller rockers, edelbrock dual plane intake, carb? oh and dont forget high perf exhaust.

I am not trying to get 9000 hp out of a block but 450 would be good.
4 bolt block, forged merc crank is fine, GM Dimple rods (7/16), Forged piston, (any SRP, diamond, etc will work) Clevite H Bearings, build comp ratio to your comfort level. I suggest 9.5:1+- 87, but recomend 93 always.

For the top it is more complicated, as this is where the budgets come into play.

Super cheap: GM square port heads, Flat tappet hydralic cam, Mid range roller rocker, Good comp, crane spring out of the catalog, have your machine shop order from the supply house. Use a good quality stainless valve. The old 420 merc dual plane manifold is great if you can find one that is not rotten, Edelbrock 454-R is a good single plane choice. 850 holley double pumper and a 130 mech fuel pump and you are on your way.

Cam specs will depend on your exhaust.

You can build that engine for less than 5K if you shop the parts right and don't get into a hurry.

With a CMI type header, your cam can be more aggresive and you can see 500+- HP out of it.

That is the most sane way of building a 454, since it realy doesn't make a lot of sense to over build one.

I have gotten a little crazier and used a solid lifter flat tappet nad made more power.

Putting the high doller roller cams and springs and spending all that money won't NET you a big enough return on your investment IMO.

If you can afford the fuel, up the comp. a little and you will see a better gain.

With the prices of blocks, cranks, rodes etc coming way down and the general knowledge becoming more readily available, If you are going spend a lot of money, you might as well go to 540CI+ so you can see a bigger net return.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have one of these almost ready to go sitting here. THere are some variations. My 27' Magnum ran in the low 70's with this engine on oval port heads, Now it has square ports and a much better carb.

PM or call if interested. Jeff 832.439.5304

Send me all of your old bolt ons and I will clean them up and get them painted and run on the test stand and send it to ya.

Price is right. I have engines stacked up in this shop.
Attached Thumbnails 1987 454 mag 330hp??-000_1611.jpg   1987 454 mag 330hp??-000_1613.jpg   1987 454 mag 330hp??-000_1612.jpg  

Old 01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Registered

My stuff is coming off a mkIV block that a cylinder craked. SO I have an edelbrock performer intake, Quadrajet carb, thunderbolt ignition, what other stuff can I rob and put onto a new longblock? My heads are oval port so I am not sure I should use them.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My stuff is coming off a mkIV block that a cylinder craked. SO I have an edelbrock performer intake, Quadrajet carb, thunderbolt ignition, what other stuff can I rob and put onto a new longblock? My heads are oval port so I am not sure I should use them.
If htye are 330 heads, then they are peanuts. Throw them away.

Dump the quadrajunk carb also.

Ignition and intake are good though. Use the block and oil pan, rebuild the oil pump, but a new one is less than $100. See what rods are in it? Might be 7/16".

Send me your block and Ill build you a good one, or I'll send you one of the ones that I all ready have here.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Its at a machine shop now. They told me its a 2 bolt main with cast pistons and crank that is now seized and the block that is crakced is a sleeved cylinder so I am not real keen on reusing it. They daid I have oval port heads not peanut port.
I found a long block here in mi that has a roller cam dualplane intake iconell valves rect prot heads rebuilt 30 over has forged crank and pistons(cant remember who made those but I have heard of them before) 4 bolt main.
I have heard that about the quadrajunk but it has not failed me, why is it junk? I have heard the holley carbs can be finiky.

Wouldnt you need the water pump etc...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Its at a machine shop now. They told me its a 2 bolt main with cast pistons and crank that is now seized and the block that is crakced is a sleeved cylinder so I am not real keen on reusing it. They daid I have oval port heads not peanut port.
I found a long block here in mi that has a roller cam dualplane intake iconell valves rect prot heads rebuilt 30 over has forged crank and pistons(cant remember who made those but I have heard of them before) 4 bolt main.
I have heard that about the quadrajunk but it has not failed me, why is it junk? I have heard the holley carbs can be finiky.

Wouldnt you need the water pump etc...
No water pump if you convert to a crossover type. 1 less thing to worry about. Quardrajunk because they don't flow worth a chit and no HP. Decent on a car, but nt enough to work with on a boat.

If you have a deal over there use it. The big ovel chevy's are great up to a certain level, but they are especially great in the mid range. Just depends on how much cam you are putting into it. Go with the 750-800 style holley and be done with it. I have a shelf full of stuff I can sell you if you want to do something with the engine you have.

I can send you a ready to bolt on 750 for $300 shipped. it has been freshened. You will have to play with the jets a little after you bolt it on. If you trust where that long block is coming from and the price is right, I say jump on it. Make sure you know your comp ratio and your cam specs though on the way in as those are the only 2 issues I see. Otherwise, that engine will be a night and day difference from what you are pulling out.

Quick Reply: 1987 454 mag 330hp??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.