Merc 575 TBI question

Notices

Merc 575 TBI question

Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Steve,
You keep bringing up RB's setup but ya'll don't have the same motors. You are going to a 540, which is almost 10% larger than his, with a much larger cam and much better heads. Your motor WILL NOT run with RB's program. Even if it did, it is not going to make the power that you are looking for. Most of RB's speed gains have come from setup changes(nose cone, props etc.) From what I understand, he has not gained much from just the engine mods.Maybe just a couple mph. There is nothing wrong with that since he hasn't really done a lot to the motor. I doubt he is making 650 hp, which is great for what he started with and the few changed he has made. However, I seriously doubt that you will be very happy with 650 hp. As I told you on the phone, I don't think an un-intercooled 8-71 is the answer, and definetely not with the current injection. Even an intercooled 8-71 is going to reach it's max WAY before the Whipple does. I gave you my opinion; put on the Whipple and be done with it. No it's not the cheapest way to go, but I do think it is the best. Not to mention, that's the only shot you have to even stay close to that orange boat. Just don't want to see you make a mistake.
Give me a call if I can help you in any way. See ya, Eddie
Eddie,
Thanks for your advice. The only way I can keep up with the orange boat is they run out of gas or blow a drive.............
Steve
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched Buiding it Bigger with Miss Geico tonight, and that settles it.
I'm putting a gas turbine in ..........does anybody have Arruda's # ?
Steve
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Eddie,
The only way I can keep up with the orange boat is they blow a drive.............
Steve
That's a very good possibility. We are waiting for it to cool off a little and for them to get in a few more weekends of boating before we go ring the snot out of it. I can't wait to see what it does. However, we all have a feeling that the drive won't live through it, that's why they want to get in as much boating as possible before we do it. Let me know what you decide to do and if I can help, Eddie.