Merc outboard Tech advice needed >

Merc outboard Tech advice needed

Notices

Merc outboard Tech advice needed

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merc outboard Tech advice needed

I have a 2007 Merc 115 hp EFI four stroke on my pontoon boat.I am getting ready to winterize it for the first time.Dealer says I have to let them do it or I could cause the injectors to be clogged come spring.I asked for the proper procedure since I always do my own work.But they told me they have to mix a special formula in a remote tank and run this thru the engine as per the Merc bulletin.Is this BS or does any one here know this special formula and should I know any thing else that they might not be telling me?

Thanks in advance.

Nordic95
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some thing like ethanol free gas, stabilizer, storage seal, and idle for 5 minutes. Its outlined in the service manuals.
Jim
Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a remote 6 gallon fuel tank put fresh gas in it 93 Octane preferably. Add 1 pint of a quality two stroke oil to the fuel, Optimax or Yamalube etc. Then add the appropriate amount of Stabil fuel treatment to the mix. Hook up this mixture after having given it a good shake and run it through your Tohatsu at or around 1300-1500rpm for approximately 5 minutes.

Do not run the fuel system dry. Shut off motor and spray any exposed components with a good fooging oil. Disconnect battery ground terminal and isolate it. Put boat in garage.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trippin
Take a remote 6 gallon fuel tank put fresh gas in it 93 Octane preferably. Add 1 pint of a quality two stroke oil to the fuel, Optimax or Yamalube etc. Then add the appropriate amount of Stabil fuel treatment to the mix. Hook up this mixture after having given it a good shake and run it through your Tohatsu at or around 1300-1500rpm for approximately 5 minutes.

Do not run the fuel system dry. Shut off motor and spray any exposed components with a good fooging oil. Disconnect battery ground terminal and isolate it. Put boat in garage.
How about draining the water out of the engine?Is it a self draining system or is it a good idea to run in a tub of anti freez?Also I plan on changing oils before i winterize.

Thanks for all the info guys
Nordic95
Old 09-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Running in a tub of antifreeze certainly would'nt hurt it, there is a negligable amount of water left in the block once you shut it off. Make sure that you get all the water out of the lower gearcase however.