Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
525 CMI ,  Hose from header to tail pipe ? >

525 CMI , Hose from header to tail pipe ?

Notices

525 CMI , Hose from header to tail pipe ?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 CMI , Hose from header to tail pipe ?

Ok i just finished to put Sound Choice System on my 525 , and with my old Tail Pipe i have 2 Fitting Restrictor on each side ( port and starboard ) , my question is ...... i have to connect the two hose or just one is enought ?

Because i see a same setup than mine , and the little hose from the begining of the Header to the end of Diverter have been cap ? ( no more hose ) it`s Ok to do that ?

Hope my question is clear ....if not ....feel free to ask .....

Attached Thumbnails 525 CMI ,  Hose from header to tail pipe ?-p1170899.jpg   525 CMI ,  Hose from header to tail pipe ?-p1180412-large-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

And this the other setup i see ....it`s a Campion 800 with a 525 and Sound Choice Systeme ....look he have not two hose ...only the one over the big collar .......i very hope i am clear
Attached Thumbnails 525 CMI ,  Hose from header to tail pipe ?-p1180248-large-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

I do not own CMI headers so I am probably WRONG, but...it seems to me that the connection from the distribution tube at the head should NEVER be connected to the tail pipe,,,cause it could lessen the flowrate around each header pipe. Wonder why that was done?

It would seem that you could be "bypassing" the header tubes and running the majority of the water flow straight from the tube to the tailpipe! I bet those "pipes" got really hot, especially when idleing along and there is not much water flow.

UPDATE!
Here is a "factory picture" of this kind of connection. I really am puzzled by this short circuit connection bypassing the header tubes.
Attached Thumbnails 525 CMI ,  Hose from header to tail pipe ?-17677%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by 88Fount33; 10-16-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my stock 525 headers, the pipes do not get hot either at WOT or at idle, so the system does work. However the similar CMI headers for a 496 do not have this bypass hose. Beats me why it is like that, but don´t mess with a running system, specially when Merc Racing has been running it like that since about 2002.

The only theory that I can think of is that by encourageing the water to flow along the distributor pipe, the quantity of water that can flow up into each header tube is equalised. I also presume that there is more water running through the raw water system than the headers can handle, anyway.
I would run the two hoses into a T connector and run that out of a hull fitting on the starbord side under the rub strip. This will give you a visual of how much water is running thru the motor, at speed. If you fit a regulator into it you can restrict the flow if the headers are getting too warm.
The following users liked this post:
Faster Daddy (04-21-2021)
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi
Ok i just finished to put Sound Choice System on my 525 , and with my old Tail Pipe i have 2 Fitting Restrictor on each side ( port and starboard ) , my question is ...... i have to connect the two hose or just one is enought ?

Because i see a same setup than mine , and the little hose from the begining of the Header to the end of Diverter have been cap ? ( no more hose ) it`s Ok to do that ?

Hope my question is clear ....if not ....feel free to ask .....

To answer your question, Yes that is ok. Mercury racing has CMI put two bungs in the tail pipes for a couple of " debatable" issues. Your stock sea pump can not, and will not flow more water then the CMI headers and tails will flow. The screw in restrictors in the tail pipes are there to balance the flow of water that comes out the heat exchanger. Trust me, it is different from each side. Call CMI they can explain it to you.
Bawana
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Ok guy i send a email to CMI 5 day ago ....and still no respond ???? soon i have respond i will let you know
Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi
Ok guy i send a email to CMI 5 day ago ....and still no respond ???? soon i have respond i will let you know
Ok i just receive the email from David Rank, Sales Engineer at CMI ...
this is what he have to say

Originally Posted by David Rank
We did not build the diverters that you are now using, however I would not change the system that was in your tailpipes supplied with the boat. The restrictors are installed per Mercury Racing specifications

Originally Posted by David Rank
Install the restrictors from your old tailpipes in the same locations as in the past.