Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cast aluminum BBC gen V r VI oil pan? >

Cast aluminum BBC gen V r VI oil pan?

Notices

Cast aluminum BBC gen V r VI oil pan?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

milidon[spelling?] makes some of the best steel oil pans ,for everything from street cars to top fuel dragsters ,indy cars to offshore race boats
Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Registered

Why do you want aluminum? There is no point in a marine application.

As was said above, proper control of the oil in the pan, the windage tray and whatnot, is important. But there's not enough airflow around an oil pan in the boat to make it an effective cooler, especially with the loads boat engines run. And nobody is going to see the bling bling on the bottom of the engine.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Why do you want aluminum? There is no point in a marine application.

As was said above, proper control of the oil in the pan, the windage tray and whatnot, is important. But there's not enough airflow around an oil pan in the boat to make it an effective cooler, especially with the loads boat engines run. And nobody is going to see the bling bling on the bottom of the engine.
I can't answer your question, but why Does Stotler, Carolina Racing, Chief, and Eickert use them then? My engines were built by Stotler and came with them, But I have seen the others I mention use them also. They are all some pretty big players.

As for steel pans, I used to have a 31' Sonic I brought here from Miami. I pulled the engines after a year or so and freshend everything. I had to replace the oil pans cause they rusted through at the flanges. I can only assume do to the salt in the air etc. when it was in Miami.

But I know with aluminum it will take years if ever to do the same thing when they are an average of 3/8's thick.

Jon
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered

Call Marine Engine Inc (800runsnew) and look at surplus or accessories or something....they have a few.
(actually, hit the website- I ran across them a few weeks ago...)