Power Steering Fluid foaming

Notices

Power Steering Fluid foaming

Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid foaming

I have a full power hydraulic steering system. It has a single ram, GM ps pump with a charlynn (sp) helm for a twin Arneson set up. I am using ATF for power steering fluid.

PS fluid foams up after running at cruise power for about 5 to 10 minutes. You can feel it in the helm and hear it too. It always steers fine but is very noisey at the wheel every time wheel is moved. Everything is fine when cold (no noise). PS fluid is perfect when cold, total pink foam after it is warmed up. PS fluid return line runes through oil cooler then to tank. The base of helm will get very warm steering alot in big water, but you can still put you hand on it.

Question: Is it ok to use something other than ATF that would not foam up? If so what would it be? This has been a chronic problem for quite awhile, just finally getting around to doing something about it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve H

Last edited by Steve H; 10-22-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like something needs attention in the steering system, but I'm a huge fan of Redline Power Steering Fluid. Made a huge difference in my road race cars that required use of stock PS system with NO cooler allowed. Even stopped the dreaded GM PS whine.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean Does return run to the pump? Generally the return runs to the low port on pump and the resevior tank attaches to welded fitting on top of pump. That allows all the air to escape to resivior and keeps pump full. I would think it doesn't have enough fluid in the system.
Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sean the only time i've ever boiled or foamed my PS oil was when my lower pulley was too big?You don't have a motor mounted pump though.Use a full synthetic,it won't be damaged by heat.

Last edited by fastlane40; 10-22-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Sean Does return run to the pump? Generally the return runs to the low port on pump and the resevior tank attaches to welded fitting on top of pump. That allows all the air to escape to resivior and keeps pump full. I would think it doesn't have enough fluid in the system.
Jim
It is just a standard GM automotive pump with the stock attached tank.

Are you suggesting that a remote mounted tank would take care of my problem? Is so how big should tank be?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran my power steering pump low/ dry one time and after I re- filled it I too had foaming issues .Must have burned up . I have had great luck with Lucas oil power steering pump fluid. Guaranteed to fix bad / leaking pumps. Foamed before , put in Lucas and fixed problem. The guy at NAPA said mechanics say this stuff works great.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered

Latham and others make reservoir tanks, capacity is about 2 quarts. The cap on pump gets sealed or brazed with a #6 fitting. It may be possible to get a stock pump to work if you can bleed all the air out. A little air will expand with temp and lead to foaming. All good steering systems have res tanks to allow for expansion and extreme use.
Jim
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

I'm with Mobilemercman.
The stock reservoir on the pump is not big enough for a full hydraulic system. I'll bet your fluid is expanding and leaking from the pump cap. Then it runs low and gets air in the system.
Imco sells a sealed cap with a fitting to attach to a remote reservoir. They're about $50, cheap fix.
Gary
Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve H
It is just a standard GM automotive pump with the stock attached tank.

Are you suggesting that a remote mounted tank would take care of my problem? Is so how big should tank be?
I would like to see a minimum oil tank volume of 1/2 gal with a preferred one gallon capacity running volume of 2-3 quarts of fluid centrally located to both engines.

Adequate breather with a large (dash 10 hose minimum) feeding the pumps with no 90 degree fittings on the feed side.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default trouble with PS as well. where is air coming from/why?

I am experiencing similiar trouble, my fluid keeps collecting in the resiviuor making the steering go hard. It must be foaming and collecting in the Latham bottle. I have dual ps Latham system per thier diagram. Changing the pump did not change the problem.
thanks for advice.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid foaming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.