Notices

Fuel tanks, replacement need advice 33' Egg Harbor

Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fuel tanks, replacement need advice 33' Egg Harbor

Replacing friends tanks on 33' Egg Harbor, 1980
They are aluminum, and one leaks bad.
Deck is teak and looks like too much work, and is too nice to mess with.
Loosend tank and removed all hoses, straps etc.
Removed heat exchanger and 1 manifold from Stbd. engine
Looks like I may have to take out manifold from port motor and also remaining struts and maybe get other tank loose and empty it and move it over to the side and see if the tank will pass between center of motors. Tank is 55" long 39 1/4 wide and 1' deep. It has about 3" between tank and deck and will come out 40" until it hits the bell housing.
I made up a mock up device 55" x 1' and checked to see if tank would clear. Going this far, I will change both tanks, may have to get under deck and remove mufflers and see if I have enough room. Tank may just be able to spin 90deg if I move things around.
Just trying to see if anyone has done anything like this. I want to avoid pulling heads off or taking a motor out. I guess I'll have to see where I'm at tomorrow night by removing a few more things and seeing if tank comes out at an angle or just push it back and remove more stuff. I wish deck was put on with screws, they shot it with bronze nails and to do it right would also involve removing all plugs, and also alot of trim and the sliding doors, it's out of the question to destroy the deck and try to make hatches.
Any suggestions on replacement tanks, I have a quote of $1000 each for 3/16 thick aluminum that I can have made locally. should I go for the new fiberglass ones or poly ? Monel is way too pricy.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Friend of mine replaced his tanks in a 46' Jefferson sundeck. He removed them with a sisal and replace them with two smaller tanks that he had custom made. He linked them together at the bottom with tubing so he could run both tanks at a time. He took two tanks out and put four back, the only other wat was to cut a hole in the hull and fix it afterward. I believe he had them fabricated out of aluminum. You might get lucky and find some that are preconstructed and have tank man link them together and pressure test them.

Just an idea!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

That's funny, I was thinking of that a few minutes ago in the shower. The only thing is the gas vapors, I don't want to blow up the boat. I figured if I get them out in one piece they will go back in the same way. Maybe I can wash out the tanks with degreaser and fill with water to cut and keep hose running. Thanks, BBB
Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI speedytanks.com in NJ is worth a try I have used them a couple of times with good results.If you dont use them make sure you get the CG required tag.