Ignition upgrade for 7.4 >

Ignition upgrade for 7.4

Notices

Ignition upgrade for 7.4

Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the stock ignition just add a higher output coil, I run stock with a 60,000 volt coil and .050 gap on the plugs. Smoothed up the idle a little, starts and runs great. To many mishaps with the MSD distributors, how many have heard of the rotor grabbing the cap whipping the wires into a birds nest leaving dead in the water!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wet_rat
If I anticipate upgrading heads and converting to a carb wouldn't the adjustability of Crane or MSD igntion make it a worthwhile upgrade?
No, I run a blown 900 HP on mine with a blaster coil, it runs PERFECTLY! Just add a Blaster 3 coil.. $65.00 and you are done...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MOP
To many mishaps with the MSD distributors, how many have heard of the rotor grabbing the cap whipping the wires into a birds nest leaving dead in the water!!!
I have heard a lot of nigthmare stuff about MSD distributors and ignition boxes. I have MSD billet distributors and not ever had that "bird nest" thing happen to me, but when I originally bought my boat I had one engine reverse timing as we increased in RPM...it was very strange. We thought it might have been "cam walk" and we checked for it. We changed the cap and rotor, new plugs, switched ignition boxes, checked the ignition box wiring, etc, and it still did the same thing. We didn't even think that it was the magetic pickup, but the internals were all still pretty rusty. The only thing we didn't do was swap distributors with the better running engine. Using the same MSD billet distributor, we finally installed an MSD crank trigger system and it works flawlessly now---for 7 years. The nice thing is that it's pretty much maintenance free.

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-12-2007 at 06:43 AM.