Shift cable adjustment >

Shift cable adjustment

Notices

Shift cable adjustment

Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift cable adjustment

I have searched this forum and read alot about cable adjustment. The problem I have been having with my bravo drive was that when you shifted into forward it would hesitate several seconds (4-6) before going into gear. Had done this the last several outings. Then last outing it decided to not go into reverse. Got back without reverse and removed both cables from shifter bracket. With motor running and boat on lift, pulled cable to transom and shifted forward ok. Pushed cable in and went in reverse. Put back together without changing anything still same problem, no reverse. Removed lower cable from bracket again and screwed "barrel nut" toward the transom in approx 1/2 -3/4 inch. Put back together and now shifts into reverse.Forward is still ok. I done this before reading up on the adjustment procedures and such. I ran the boat and seemed to be fine .My question is have I done something that is harmful to the outdrive? When comparing cable adjustment to the starboard side, the "barrel nut" on it still has 1 inch or so threads showing where I now have around 1/4 inch left on the port side. One guy told me I had done a temporary fix for a worn cone clutch. This side has always been stiff to shift in either direction also. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
I have searched this forum and read alot about cable adjustment. The problem I have been having with my bravo drive was that when you shifted into forward it would hesitate several seconds (4-6) before going into gear. Had done this the last several outings. Then last outing it decided to not go into reverse. Got back without reverse and removed both cables from shifter bracket. With motor running and boat on lift, pulled cable to transom and shifted forward ok. Pushed cable in and went in reverse. Put back together without changing anything still same problem, no reverse. Removed lower cable from bracket again and screwed "barrel nut" toward the transom in approx 1/2 -3/4 inch. Put back together and now shifts into reverse.Forward is still ok. I done this before reading up on the adjustment procedures and such. I ran the boat and seemed to be fine .My question is have I done something that is harmful to the outdrive? When comparing cable adjustment to the starboard side, the "barrel nut" on it still has 1 inch or so threads showing where I now have around 1/4 inch left on the port side. One guy told me I had done a temporary fix for a worn cone clutch. This side has always been stiff to shift in either direction also. Thanks for any suggestions.

I had the exact same 4-6 second pause happening to me but after quite a while of guessing and adjusting, my problem was the dual action control box had a recall and I did not know about it...

As far as adjusting the shift cable(s), there is a pair of shift cable tools from Mercury Part # 91-12427 . It lays perfectly in place and will take all of the work out of it for you. It did for me anyway. There is another shift cable tool that I'm familiar with but I am NOT sure if these apply to you but it was the other one that I used -
91-17262
Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

I did not mean to put that cartoon in my response. sorry.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Registered

Thumbs up shift cable

Thanks I'll try this.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Registered

You might want to check your three inch adjustment back on the shift plate.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Sorry I don't understand about the 3 inch adjustment. Can you explain?
Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

stop guessing and buy a merc service manual for your bravo. you will need the special merc tools as mentioned above and there is also a a plastic tool that will help you when setup the top cable going to the control box. i have seen the linkage in the drive fully corroded including the detent ball in the drive also. you could have a few different problems ranging from a bad intermediate cable,worn cone clutch and springs, or bad control box and cable. once you setup the intermediate cable adjustment you never adjust to get the drive to shift, always adjust the upper cable from the box. make sure the lower cable stud on the shift linkage arm is always set to it's lowest point too.