ZZ502 w 741 cam issues >

ZZ502 w 741 cam issues

Notices

ZZ502 w 741 cam issues

Old 01-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBT
I am so used to EFI ( I program Merc box's, Race, Optimax and Verado ) and I am too damn young to care about carbs.

RT
RBT, would you mind contacting me in the above matter. I have some thoughts around this subject and it's very hard to find correct info over here ...

/Alex
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

FYI, powervalves have no effect on idle quality, as they are part of the main metering system which is not active at idle. Powervalve could be an issue if its "blown", then it would leak. Are the mixture screws responsive? If not, that could indicate a blown powervalve.

Checking the valve adjust is a good suggestion, if they are too tight the valve will be held open and vacuum stuffers, probably not good for plugs either.

I suggest doing the leakdown. Myself and a buddy both run ZZ502 heads and we both had issues with poor valves sealing on NEW heads. We had very very high leakdown rates. You can just take the rockers off to make sure no valves are open when doing the test. With that low a vacuum, something is way off.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-CHVL
FYI, powervalves have no effect on idle quality, as they are part of the main metering system which is not active at idle. Powervalve could be an issue if its "blown", then it would leak. Are the mixture screws responsive? If not, that could indicate a blown powervalve.
If the cam is big enough it can/will activate the powervalve depending what size PV you're running... Also if you're not running powervalves it can also draw fuel thru the main fuel metering circuit and you have to adjust the secondary butterfly so the primary isn't open as much.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
If the cam is big enough it can/will activate the powervalve depending what size PV you're running... Also if you're not running powervalves it can also draw fuel thru the main fuel metering circuit and you have to adjust the secondary butterfly so the primary isn't open as much.
??? talking about a Holley?

If your pulling from the mains at idle something is very wrong. That's why there's a idle and transfer circuit.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

??? talking about a Holley?

If your pulling from the mains at idle something is very wrong. That's why there's a idle and transfer circuit.

Yes.... check around...

Big cams with little or no vacuum activate the PV's and begin dumping fuel thru the venturi's...

big cam requires the throttle plates to be open more so the engine can idle...

It's holley 101.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Here's a Q&A taken directly from the Holley website, this is all public knowledge...

"QUESTION Why is my engine running rich and my mixture screws do not have effect?
ANSWER The first thing you need to ckeck is your float level. No fuel should run from the sight hole unless you shake the vehicle. Next check the engine vacuum at idle. (in gear if A/T) if it is 12" or more a 6.5" powervalve will usually be fine. Anything below 12" divide in half. For example 9" vacuum will use a 4.5" power valve. Another possible cause associated with performance cam shafts are exposed transfer slots. You should not see more than .025"-.030" of the transfer slot exposed past the throttle plate at idle. "

Last edited by Panther; 01-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Registered

PV is not his problem. If it was, all plugs would be fouling. The low vaccum is probably b/c of the deal cylinders (fouled or something is wrong mechanically).

Should put a timing light on that wire to make sure there isnt a ignition problem after a new plug is installed.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

If the knibbler pin isnt fully dampened, the fetzer valve might cause early detonation
Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

PV is not his problem. If it was, all plugs would be fouling. The low vaccum is probably b/c of the deal cylinders (fouled or something is wrong mechanically).

Should put a timing light on that wire to make sure there isnt a ignition problem after a new plug is installed.
Agreed that may not be the cause of his problem but your statement implied that powervalves don't effect idle in general and it is false... also, the front two plugs usually fowl first. If you run a big enough stick you'll run into PV problems at idle if you don't set up the carb properly...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Agreed that may not be the cause of his problem but your statement implied that powervalves don't effect idle in general and it is false... also, the front two plugs usually fowl first. If you run a big enough stick you'll run into PV problems at idle if you don't set up the carb properly...

We'll, I still think that PV is inactive at idle - if your pulling from the mains at idle something else is up. My motor doesnt pull from the main circuit till over 2000 rpms.

Quick Reply: ZZ502 w 741 cam issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.