how to winterize fresh water system >

how to winterize fresh water system

Notices

how to winterize fresh water system

Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to winterize fresh water system

I winterized my boat but almost forgot about the fresh water system (new boat to me this year)

can i simply run the fresh water out of it. add a gallon of RV (nontoxic) antifreeze, and flush till i see the pink out the sink faucet and transom shower?

I see an air line stem ( like a carrier stem) inside the engine bay in the fresh water lines. is this used to blow out the system out? is that needed if I use the "pink stuff?

tks

Ramb
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

I've always run the tank as empty as possible. pour in a gallon of pink stuff and run it empty again. Then add 2 gallons more pink stuff and run ALL the faucets until a strong pink color is present. (you wouldn't have AC too would you???)
Old 11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the compressed air method THEN the pink. Might as well blow them out first, use less anti-freeze and less risk for dilution.

I wouldn't put more than 30lbs. on it though, you can just use any air chuck for filling tires.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambunctious
can i simply run the fresh water out of it. add a gallon of RV (nontoxic) antifreeze, and flush till i see the pink out the sink faucet and transom shower?

Ramb

That's what I do. When it's ran empty, there's very little freshwater still in the lines. 1 gal of the RV stuff in the tank, and within less than 1/5 of it gone, it starts coming out pink. Then just run the rest on thru to rid any dilution chances. Any more would be a waste of good AF in my application.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Just a couple extra thoughts if you have a hot water tank like mine.
Unless you bypass it after you drain the water out, It will take whatever its capacity is in antifreeze before it gets to the rest of your water system.
Also don't forget your transom showers if you have them.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes the hot water side is the problem. I need to pour about 8-10gals in my empty FW tank so I can fill the already drained and closed up 6 gal Hot water tank then the rest. When all fixtures run solid pink you know you are good. Flush a few bowls full of pink down the toilet as well. Done it for years, very easy and fairly cheap. I also put 2 gals in the just pumped out so nearly empty holding tank. Then flush it all out in the spring.

Last edited by Pismo10; 11-23-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

thanks

no hot water. just a simple sink and transom shower for me.

Ramb
Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

If you have a plastic water tank the pink RV will stain it and it is hard to get the bad taste out of it after it sets all winter. Use a shop vac and suck out all you can at the tank. Same with water heater, Take one side off and suck it out, Leave it dry..
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedreeder
If you have a plastic water tank the pink RV will stain it and it is hard to get the bad taste out of it after it sets all winter. Use a shop vac and suck out all you can at the tank. Same with water heater, Take one side off and suck it out, Leave it dry..
you could use cheap crappy vodka and just add some food dye. i had some old time customers that would not let me use anything else in their old hunks of crap boats.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by speedreeder
I agree a dry system is best, engine cooling system, water system, anything, but sometimes it's not doable.

Quick Reply: how to winterize fresh water system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.