up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost >

up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost

Notices

up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost

Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdnca1
8.75:1 with 8# of boost is right there....
As long as it only goes there in limited amounts.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back4more:

What do you think of the Bmax's you've been running? How much time and whats the reliability been like?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobra marty
Get AFR 305 or 315 heads, ARP head studs, cometic gaskets and RMBuilder to do a cam for you and then you need someone like Tyler Crocker to dyno it and reprogram the computer. How much power do you want? Stock engine and 8 pounds will give you 700-725 HP. With heads and cam and 8 pounds you will have 850HP and if you build a 540 you can see 950+ HP. What drive are you going to break?
Looking to make about 800 HP and will be having a pro do the computer work.
Planning on running an IMCO extreme SC upper that has had some work on it done at Max Machine Worx....
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default You will be just fine

I hate that your deal on the heads fell through.

A little more cam, some more boost, bigger heads, Hmmm. I am sure that Eddie has a good recipe for you. Just keep it under 800hp. I need at least one summer in the Catbird seat.

I will be officially starting the next phase of my project this week!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
Well after A season of fun with the procharger M3 SC with the big intercooler...I am going to do some upgrades this winter....want to run 8 lbs of boost.....

the plan is as follows:

pull the motor and add new heads Dart pro 1 's Aluminum
replace the fuel injectors and go to a 2 bar map sensor
install new cam to take advantage of the heads
install cometic head gaskets

Dyno tune the motor and then reinstall.....can the bottom end handle it?

Am I missing some thing here?

What do you think?

Boat has run a best of 85 GPS ......looking to break the 90 MPH barrier...is it possible?

Bryan
The Dart Pro 1 is a great idea. I would recommend keeping compression up around 8:1 to 8.5:1. The aluminum heads are going to be worth nearly 1 full compression point because of heat disapation. Also, the Dart's are going to flow far more than stock, so the boost will drop approx. 2psi, so with that, and going to 8psi (nearly a 4psi change) will really help make HP.

To note, Mercury Racing does not know everything, it was only after we brought them the screw compressor and cupronickel intercoolers, did they see the light. They were still using a 1071, B&M420 and Weiand 256.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is some good info from Mr. Whipple. I definitely want to use one of his pretty blowers sometime.

Another thing to think about as you agonize about whether to do some of this in stages is the wife factor. Is is easier to slide a couple of mods by over the next couple of years or do one grand project. If you can do a bunch of the work yourself and have someone finalize the setup and tune it, you should go for it. I bet that you and Sam could do a bunch of it then have an EFI expert tune it. Easier to slip a little by the Deanne.

I had to go with the whole freshen. As things are torn down, I am glad I did. Once in, I want to do it right. Guess I have to write some big checks now. Your engine does not warrant that yet.

Also remember, you probably have the hottest 27ZX around.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after A season of fun with the procharger M3 SC with the big intercooler...I am going to do some upgrades this winter....want to run 8 lbs of boost.....

the plan is as follows:

pull the motor and add new heads Dart pro 1 's Aluminum
replace the fuel injectors and go to a 2 bar map sensor
install new cam to take advantage of the heads
install cometic head gaskets

Dyno tune the motor and then reinstall.....can the bottom end handle it?

Am I missing some thing here?

What do you think?

Boat has run a best of 85 GPS ......looking to break the 90 MPH barrier...is it possible?

Bryan

How much power you looking for?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
How much power you looking for?
800 or so......
Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

800 or so......
I would think you could make that with less boost with what all your talking about buying,ie heads etc.

On my Whipple at 7 1/4 with a 741 cam and mild head porting it made 760's,basically a stock 500efi other wise.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Bryan,
I agree with Bill. Personally, I find it much easier to stomach 10K at a time over 2 years rather than 20K at once. Ultimately, it's your decision and I will be glad to work with you any way I can. I look forward to talking to you soon, Eddie.

I also agree with Dustin in that you should keep the compression up. I have found that both the Whipples and the centrifugals like the compression. I build every supercharged engine that is using a centrifigal or a Whipple at 8.9:1 and higher. I have been as high as 10.2:1 with 5-6# boost. I won't say what the best compression that I have found is, but it is higher than most would think. You have to throw out the roots mentality of low compression and a big, slow blower. That may work great for a roots motor, but the Whipple and the centrifigal like to spin with some more compression. This is what works for me. No, it's not the only way to do it, but I have found it to be the best.
Eddie

Quick Reply: up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.