What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction

Notices

What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction

Does anyone use a vacuum pump or dry sump pump to produce crankcase vacuum ?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a vacuum pump. Doesn't make much HP at lower vacuum (3-5"), but it does a great job of eliminating the ER oil/blow-by and it really keeps the eng room clean. On the dyno in a wet sump/oil pump distributor gear driven application, the vacuum pump was fighting the oil pump at 15"+ with only + 5-7 HP at 6000+ RPM (oil pressure was fluctuating).
Today, I run one vac pump for both engines. It is my understanding that the bigger (+15-20) HP gains on a vac pump are mostly shown with real low tension oil rings...mostly used in a drag car set-up.
If your goal is more HP, you can invest in other options that will bring more value. To rig a single vac pump right, $1500-2000.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi Ben, Do you believe idle quality and torque is improved because of the 3" to 5" at idle ? Would the Horsepower gain be the same for dry sump/wet sump ? Subject to crank to rod ratio, do you believe vacuum effects piston rock ? When using vacuum with dry sump,are piston sprayers more or less part of the equation ? What do you consider prudent for disposing of the fumes and vacuum sludge ? In the event one burns a hole in the piston, how can the pressure be best released ?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

- Subject to crank to rod ratio, do you believe vacuum effects piston rock ? No idea
- When using vacuum with dry sump, are piston sprayers more or less part of the equation ? Don't see a connection between piston sprayers and vacuum
- What do you consider prudent for disposing of the fumes and vacuum I use a custom catch can (oil/air separator)
- In the event one burns a hole in the piston, how can the pressure be best released ? A pop-off valve/vent from Peterson Fluid Systems. More likely needed if vac pump failed.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cat,
Missed one question...no measurable vac at idle...no impact. 3-5" is all I get at all RPM's with one pump on twins
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ben, Are you using a Peterson Valve ? Do you know approx. crankcase pressure required to open the valve ?

Subject to the amount of vacuum, would the dry sump system scavange the cylinder walls ? If so,the piston sprayers would lubricate the walls and pins while cooling the pistons.

Does your Catch Can vent into the bilge or over board ?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am not sure on the pressure setting on the Peterson pop-off valve. We don't use a dry sump, but do have the gun drilled pin oiler option in the rods. I also use a wet sump Peterson external oil pump. My catch can vent is rigged over-board.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a pic of youre set up , i like to see it , where i you get youre set up from ? very intereste in the rigging !!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rob,
These 2 pics show the vacuum pump system. The rigging is one-off that we have been polishing in for three seasons. The top view shows the hose connecting the engines at the rear of the valve covers. The front VC fitting on the outside allows you to adjust the max vacuum and the inside "breather" isn't really a breather but it is a pop-off valve to vent pressure in case of a system failure. The catch can separates the oil/air and the 3" black flex hose is connected to a side vent on the out side. The pump RPM ratio is at about 45%.
We have actually made a slight rigging change last winter where the adjustable vacuum level fitting is now mounted right at the pump inlet...new Moroso part...looks cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction-imgp1023.jpg   What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction-imgp1034.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Forgot one picture...
Attached Thumbnails What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction-imgp1036.jpg  

Quick Reply: What Is Acceptable Crankcase Suction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.