Need trim tab help and recommendations

Notices

Need trim tab help and recommendations

Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need trim tab help and recommendations

All,

I've got a Scarab SCS that does not have trim tabs on it. The boat is 23'3" long (hull length about 22'6") with a dry weight of 3750lb. Power is a 502MAG EFI, so the boat can do mid 70's without a problem.

I believe a set of trim tabs will help the boat - first I can stabilize the boat running about 70 in non-flat seas - currently it will start to chine walk if the bay is not flat. A bit of tab should eliminate the walking.

Second, will they help in rough water? When Georgian Bay gets rough, the wave period is pretty close together, and what happens is the boat doesn't really have time to recover from hitting the first wave before it hits the second - so usually it misses the deep V part of the hull and slams into the underside - giving a painful ride. Will tabs help to keep the boat more level so that the bow can do its job and slice through the wave? This really slows us down now to basically barely planing speeds.

I am looking at a set of Dana's LT series:

They are 16x12" and I am wondering if they are the right size for my boat. They are slightly smaller than 280K's but slightly larger than the Bennett dual rams that Wellcraft made an option on this boat. Dana's website says they are for boats under 24' and under 65mph so I'm not sure if these will even work, but they are half the price of something like 280K's and look a lot stronger than the Bennetts.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
All,

I've got a Scarab SCS that does not have trim tabs on it. The boat is 23'3" long (hull length about 22'6") with a dry weight of 3750lb. Power is a 502MAG EFI, so the boat can do mid 70's without a problem.

I believe a set of trim tabs will help the boat - first I can stabilize the boat running about 70 in non-flat seas - currently it will start to chine walk if the bay is not flat. A bit of tab should eliminate the walking.

Second, will they help in rough water? When Georgian Bay gets rough, the wave period is pretty close together, and what happens is the boat doesn't really have time to recover from hitting the first wave before it hits the second - so usually it misses the deep V part of the hull and slams into the underside - giving a painful ride. Will tabs help to keep the boat more level so that the bow can do its job and slice through the wave? This really slows us down now to basically barely planing speeds.

I am looking at a set of Dana's LT series:

They are 16x12" and I am wondering if they are the right size for my boat. They are slightly smaller than 280K's but slightly larger than the Bennett dual rams that Wellcraft made an option on this boat. Dana's website says they are for boats under 24' and under 65mph so I'm not sure if these will even work, but they are half the price of something like 280K's and look a lot stronger than the Bennetts.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob
I have them on my 24 pantera and work fine for me but this was my first year for boating and only have 5 hours on them.
Attached Thumbnails Need trim tab help and recommendations-dsc01274.jpg   Need trim tab help and recommendations-dsc01307.jpg  
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Registered

Rob,I've got the factory dual ram Bennetts on my boat and they are plenty strong and do what they are intended to do.

Granted,this is a lake boat but on windy/busy days we'll get 3 foot chops and the boat cuts right thru the swell.I really dont think these water rockets are intended for too big of choppy water anyway.

Steve
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered

i have a scarab 22 that i put the electric tabs on, faster than hydrylic and helped when ruff water shows up, also put drew marine sidewinders for the chime walk, it is gone and i am running close to 80 gps
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered

Thanks guys.

Prostreeter, whether or not this is a big water boat, it's what I've got and I've got to get it to run the best I can in the water we've got - otherwise it'll be on the lift on the rough days and nobody wants that! -heh.

But I agree, this isn't a 36 footer after all.

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Oh and Fastscarab, the boat already has hydraulic steering but thank you for your suggestion.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 280Ks with 30 hours ,pumps, lines if you need em 1000.00 for everything
Attached Thumbnails Need trim tab help and recommendations-ebay-133.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I run the Eddie Marine branded version of the Dana LT's on my 22' Velocity. They work very well and are probably overkill for the boat.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Those look like nice tabs, i'm sure they'll do the trick.

I have the dual ram bennett's on my boat, and I had larger custom tabs made using the same pump and actuators. Made a world of difference.

Running a bit of tab really helps smooth out the ride on my boat when it's a bit choppy out.