Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I can give some step by step mapquest directions to a fiberglass shop

hilarious!!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I think that I have done something wrong or I am doing something wrong. I went through the 5 steps for the valve adjustment and some of the rocker arms will not allow me to go 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. When the directions say to do a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn for zero lash I am assuming that I am supposed to hand tighten the nuts on the rocker arms and then go another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I am so close to splashing my boat I cant stand it. I start up the other engine and listen to the exhaust for a while to sooth my frustrations. If I do it wrong what will happen. I would like to get it right becuase once I put the exhaust back on I really dont have access to remove the valve cover. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Did you look at the pictures on the Crane site??? They will help you visualize what you are trying to accomplish.

Also, you want to do 3/4 of a turn AFTER ZERO LASH. Zero lash means the rocker arm, pushrod and lifter are touching, but it is not compressing the lifter at all.

It easiest to adjust them by going in the firing order of the engine. It is also much easier to turn the engine over by hand if you have the spark plugs out.

If the rockers are adjusted too tight, it may bend push rods or it will hold the valves open and make the engine run very poorly. If they are too loose the lifters will "tick" and bounce on and off the cam and not open the valves all the way, causing a power loss.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "they are not allowing me to get a 1/2 to 3/4 of turn" Unless maybe you have the allen locks on the rocker nuts screwed in too far????
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Registered

Griff, now we are getting somewhere. You talk about the allen locks. When I removed the rocker arms they just unscrewed out. I do see however that there are allen heads in the middle of those bolts coming up. When I say that I cant get the 1/2 to 3/4 turn I mean that I hand tighten the nut down on the rocker arm by hand and then get a 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Obviously I am doing something very very wrong. Yes I pulled the plugs out. I try to make it as easy as possible for myself.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Griff,

You were right the reason I could not get any rotation on some of the nuts were because of the allen locks we cranked down on those few. OK so to set zero lash it talked about twisting the push rod until you start to feel some resistance and then stop. I cant fit my fingers in there to rotate it as my push rods on the intake side are not long enough to get my fingers in there.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

You can get your fingers in there if the valve is fully closed, although it may be tight. That's why it is easier with the intake off. Are you rotating the engine to make sure the valves are closed when you try to adjust them?

BT
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

I am trying to set the zero lash. With absolutly no resistance on the rocker arm I have about 1/4 of an inch of clearance. World product cast heads
Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Back in the old days I used to adjust the valves with the car running if you have a good ear! Just snug the rockers down close...crank the engine....back the rocker nut off untill it starts ticking,tighten the nut until it just stops ticking and give it a 1/2 a turn!

Be curious as to what others have to say about this method! Always worked for me and I ran the sh*t outta my cars back then!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Registered

Were they hydraulic lifters and roller rockers
Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alamo28
Were they hydraulic lifters and roller rockers
They were hydraulic but not roller. Don't see where being a roller would make any difference. Clearance is clearance...just need the recommended preload on the hydraulic lifter.

Quick Reply: 454 magnum problems help please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.