Merc. carb and intake >

Merc. carb and intake

Notices

Merc. carb and intake

Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TWO BAD,
My last post was not meant to be negative or sarcastic. I'm sorry if it came off that way.
Back to the point, when you start to put it back together if you haven't already, you are going to need a new throttle bracket to hold the cable because the merc one will not clear the new carb. You might also have trouble installing the cooling hose that goes from the circulating pump to the t'stat housing because on that manifold it is raised.
The other thing you might want to check with someone is your going to need a new fuel line from the pump to the carb. I think this line needs threaded connections at both ends, no hose clamps. This is an insurance/coast guard issue.
By the way, I like the old Pachanga's, almost bought one.
Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Thanks for the food for thought. It is really cold here now and I'm working outside so, it maybe a while before I put it together. I'm just trying to have all my ducks in a row when the weather breaks. I've wanted a Pachanga since they came out in the 80's and finally bought one...Just wish I had bought a better specimen...But when I'm done it will be right. Lots of time and money so far and more to come. It's likely one of those things that it won't be worth what I have in it to anyone but me. You know the old hole in the water syndrome.........Thanks again for the help.
B.A.D.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TWO BAD - Do you have any pics of the basket case? I think my basket is dirtier..
Attached Thumbnails Merc. carb and intake-ohno-put-back.jpg   Merc. carb and intake-d205-7cylinderrustwmoodlighting.jpg   Merc. carb and intake-d205-1cylinderrust.jpg  

Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

WELL......Your basket has a pretty deep bottom and I hope your wallet is deep too.......I'm not quite sure just how deep mine is yet but everything I touch seems breed more problems to over come. I should have left this poor thing in R.I. but, I'm stuck with it now...No, I shouldn't say that I've wanted one for 20 years. As much as I hate to say it ...I have no idea how to post pictures....I have over 300 pictures that were taken and are stored in my computer in a corel photo album.. Can you be of any help?
B.A.D.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered

Sure. Do you know where the files are located? Should be something like C:\Program Files\Corel\Albums\Album1\Picturefile.bmp.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered

Working off a different comuter now....But They are in C:/Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\My Pictures\Pictures....I also have them on a memory stick. if that helps...Sorry but I grew up before the computer age and am learning some hard lessons...Thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

Alrighty - not to worry.So now when you reply to this post, press the Go Advanced button below/
scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button - press it/
Press "Browse" and navigate to your memory stick/
click on the first pic you want to post.

If the pic is too large I'll send you some instructions to reduce it's size for posting.

Last edited by nwimbush; 01-07-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Here goes.....Some of my basket
B.A.D.
Doing somthing wrong it says I'm not connected .............I'm sending this message .................tried 2x's same result.............
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

Hey, your avatar is exactly like my 87. great color scheme, I think.

2 BAD, what makes you think the rest of the motor is any better than the intake? Why don't you find a good used 454 and drop it in? Leave the Alpha on it, the 87 454(mine) came with Alpha. Just don't holeshot it and it'll be fine.

Then you can catch the disease and start spending all your money on aftermarket goodies.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Well....I don't .....for sure ......The seller replaced the engine 2 years ago but alot of the bolt on's (i.e. intake) were switched over....Plugs look good, compression is consistent, oil looked good and it runs smooth .....I know I'm making a big assumption here but.......The reason I started digging around was due to running a little hot.....Nothing terrible... but what I found appears to be excessive corosion (partial blockage) in the thermostat housing and some pretty bad scaling in the intake manifold. Other issues that were repaired included a cracked impeller in the Alpha and the feed hose in the gimble housing was pinched. Also the water pump on the engine was automotive not marine with corosion inside.....This poor thing has seen alot of abuse.....About the 454...I love the idea and there maybe one in my future but I'll run this one out till I do that....
Thanks for the toughts from a fellow changa owner
B.A.D.
The following users liked this post:
KH0302 (02-11-2021)