Merc. carb and intake >

Merc. carb and intake

Notices

Merc. carb and intake

Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merc. carb and intake

I have a 1988 350 Magnum engine with a severely ate up intake manifold on it. I was thinking of upgrading from factory cast hi-rise intake to a square bore carb and alum. intake...first is this a good idea? Second, what has been used or could be used in this application with minimal modifications.........Looking for suggestions and thoughts...........
B.A.D.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Edelbrock performer intakes on my small blocks in my cigarette. You can use any dual plane intake, a single plane will not make the low end torque you need. If you run in salt water you must flush religously. I actually flush once after running the boat and once the day after if I know it's gonna sit for a while but I run in very salty water (gulf of mexico) No matter how good I wash the boat I always find salt crystals somewhere the next day and I can only assume the same is going on inside my motors.
Also, they are so cheap I'll probably replace mine in two years just to be safe. I'll get the air-gap manifolds next and in the meantime I'm experimenting with industrial coatings I can use for the water passages because I don't know of any small block stuff with brass water passages.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an Edelbrock rpm airgap on my small block. When I took it apart, I noticed a bit of corrosion at the water passages making it's way towards the valley. This was after two years of raw water cooling with salt water, and semi regular flushing. When I put it back together, I cleaned up the damage with a bit of epoxy, and used a little bead of silicone so there would be no space at the manifold/gasket/head for the water to sit.(the hole in the gasket is larger than the passage) When I took it apart again six months later, the extra sealer seemed to help keep the corrosion from crawling towards the valley. Next season, I'll put a new one on and cut the old one to pieces to see how it looks inside.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

For a stock 350 MAG use a Performer or Performer Air Gap. No need for the RPM intakes as you won't be spinning the engine above 5000rpms. I use a RPM Air Gap on my 385ci but I spin it 5700rpms. I've coated the water passages with POR-15 and it really seems to keep the aluminum from corroding. GM has a aluminum dual plane with bronze lined passages. I've seen it at EbasicPower.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Edelbrock makes the SBC aluminum manifolds with coated water passages for salt water use
Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

Thanks a lot it seems the consensus of opinion and use is Edelbrock performer or air gap. I think that the air gap is going to be the intake for me. Anyone have info on carbs? Right now I have a stock Q jet that is working. Think I should just freshen it up a bit or go with something else? If I go with the air gap what happens with the exhaust heated choke. Or do I just wire it back and take the position that " We don't need no stinking choke". If I go with a new carb with electric choke it would solve that problem.....Then what issues will come up with linkage hook up????????So many issues and only 3 months till spring..........
B.A.D.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use your existing carb with a regular Performer. You will have the heat passage for your choke, and you will not need to buy a carb adapter if you decide to use your carb with an air-gap. Also, I don't think you will notice any performance gains between the Performer or air-gap.
Davew
Old 12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Well.......all great points.......But I just bought an air gap SO... It looks like I have all those issues to over come........I was thinking of buying a 4160 Marine Holley to put on top of it....Given that.... can anyone help with the issues? I bought this Pachanga 22 in June of this year and haven't had it in the water for play time yet ..........other than the test ride......I have spent any spare time I had thru the summer and fall working on this basket case.......It is paying off but it's been a long hard road.
B.A.D.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems as though your mind was made up on what to buy before you had all your answers?
Dave
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

All I have to say is wow......I'm glad to see that someone is full of themselves and so helpfull............Ahhhhhhhhh thanks for the help.
B.A.D.

Quick Reply: Merc. carb and intake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.