Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple swap >

Whipple swap

Notices

Whipple swap

Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you say it doesn't take much heat out of the air? How do you know this? My intercooler being fed by the drive only, no pump. The engine is being fed VIA transom mounted pickup. This is how Whipple now recomends the install.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Without taking air temp. readings before and after the cooler I can"t give you exact diff. but the intercooler housing gets hot and seems to not cool down even with the intercooler plumbed thru the raw water after a period of idling. Checking the in and out hoses while running it didn't seem like any diff. (I know very accrurate)
The install instructions with this era setup show either way that I have plumbed it as acceptable with a caution that running thru raw water could cause condensation at idle.

I am now guessing that heat from the compresser was transfering to the intercooler housing.
This is why I was considering a 3.3 to possibly slow down the rpm and run cooler, Now as vegashallet pointed out I think trying to pull the volume of air my motor wanted thru the stock T/body was the source of my heat.
Just wondering what the diff. is in the in the intercooler cores stage one or two or was there ever a side mount made with a differant core?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
Hey buddy, finally getting the dough scratched up to think about doing my 502's like yours. I was trying to go back onto Hotboat to get all the info of what you did and what shop did the work. Guess what.....HOT BOAT died....they'll be back next month but who knows if your posts will be there or not. I would appreciate it if you could send me the info of what you had done, the shop's info and some of your pictures if possible. Just email me - [email protected]

Thanks again man, have a great New Years!!!
Chad,

Give me a call tomorrow or whenever. The engine builder (LJ Engines) and I have done alot of R & D regarding the 2.3L whipple supercharger on bigger motors and have some good info.

Thank God I found a engine builder that really helps make the project work and will even spend his own money to R & D my unique project.

As always when you try something new you run into issues and what we learned about the 2.3L whipple will help many other people decide what will work for them. I would post my results but its easier to explain.

Give me a call at 702-210-0088

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by midwest272
Without taking air temp. readings before and after the cooler I can"t give you exact diff. but the intercooler housing gets hot and seems to not cool down even with the intercooler plumbed thru the raw water after a period of idling. Checking the in and out hoses while running it didn't seem like any diff. (I know very accrurate)
The install instructions with this era setup show either way that I have plumbed it as acceptable with a caution that running thru raw water could cause condensation at idle.

I am now guessing that heat from the compresser was transfering to the intercooler housing.
This is why I was considering a 3.3 to possibly slow down the rpm and run cooler, Now as vegashallet pointed out I think trying to pull the volume of air my motor wanted thru the stock T/body was the source of my heat.
Just wondering what the diff. is in the in the intercooler cores stage one or two or was there ever a side mount made with a differant core?
MidWest272

Give me a call when you get a chance. I'll explian what issues we ran into with the 2.3L whipple on a built up 540 and the adjustments we had to make.

You can find my old thread by searching for "one of a kind 502 rebuild" on this forum. It has all the photos and dyno results...

702-210-0088

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looked at your 502 rebuild thread and am impressed with what you got out of this little 2.3.
Here's my email address [email protected]
I can give you a link to another site that shows pics of what I've been doing to work thru this.
I've got to upgrade my membership so I can post pics hear.

At least now I can see that I'm not the only one trying go beyond the normal limits of these sidemounts.

Heading out for New Years, everyone have fun and be safe.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vegas, why are you ditching the 2.3?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Vegas, why are you ditching the 2.3?
It's not that I'm ditching the 2.3L but I'm making about the same power with less moving parts without the 2.3L blower.

My engine combo without the blower and a minor compression modifications makes 720hp on the dyno without the blower.

When my engine builder made all these modifications to find out what the 2.3L makes and its limitations we found out a lot of info. Especially what happens on the water versus the dyno.

I have a 3 1/4" pulley and I made 730hp on the dyno. If I change the pulley to a 2 3/4" I made over 820hp on the dyno. However, as everybody knows being on the water is something else. I'm just thankful that the engine builder (LJ Engines) knows what he is doing and we are currently making more changes and since he is already invested in the R&D he is assisting me on making more changes.

You can give me a call and I can explain in detail.

Last edited by VegasHallett; 12-31-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest272
Trying to find out if I can modify the intercooler flange and front plate of a side mount 2.3 to exept a 3.3.
Not enough cfm out of the 2.3 but would like to keep the side mout stlye. It looks like the 3.3 is 1.3inches longer housing wise but shoud be little trouble to move back on intercooler.
Anybody tried this?

We have a 1/2" adapter plate, won't be a direct fit, but it should bolt to IC. But then the belt system won't fit, as SC is bigger so pulley is out further. Then, in back, the bypass won't fit, or clear exhaust header.

Dustin
Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasHallett
MidWest272

Give me a call when you get a chance. I'll explian what issues we ran into with the 2.3L whipple on a built up 540 and the adjustments we had to make.

You can find my old thread by searching for "one of a kind 502 rebuild" on this forum. It has all the photos and dyno results...

702-210-0088

Thanks,

Jeff
It's pretty simple, SC is too small. Was never intended to pump the air volume required on modified motors. Need the 3.3, 3.8 or 5.0.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
It's pretty simple, SC is too small. Was never intended to pump the air volume required on modified motors. Need the 3.3, 3.8 or 5.0.

Thanks,
Dustin
Dustin,

Do you know how much a stock 502 (415hp) makes with a 2.3 L whipple when you offered this package back in 2000? I realize the 2.3L was too small but we wanted to see how much Hp it would make on a 540 and I already had one (2.3L).

Jeff

Quick Reply: Whipple swap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.