Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rebuilding or replacing to get  the most from a 330 hp 454 >

Rebuilding or replacing to get the most from a 330 hp 454

Notices

Rebuilding or replacing to get the most from a 330 hp 454

Old 01-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get something like this and marinize it . All good stuff Large rectangle heads, all forged internals etc. Wow what a deal someone stole this. should have been me !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

If the link don't work, copy and paste in your browser

Build a big motor that doesn't work too hard, not too much compression etc,(the gas quality is getting worse)and you will be very happy as it will make more than enough power and will last. Put the cost of expensive parts and mods into something better, unless you can find a Mag 454 will all forged parts etc. BBB
Old 01-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucker looks pretty rough! Looks like it's been sittin outside in the rain and mud for awhile. If that's the case I bet it was blown,overheated, or whatever that makes it a bad candidate for a rebuild!

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Get something like this and marinize it . All good stuff Large rectangle heads, all forged internals etc. Wow what a deal someone stole this. should have been me !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

If the link don't work, copy and paste in your browser

Build a big motor that doesn't work too hard, not too much compression etc,(the gas quality is getting worse)and you will be very happy as it will make more than enough power and will last. Put the cost of expensive parts and mods into something better, unless you can find a Mag 454 will all forged parts etc. BBB
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered

What kind of budget are we talking?

I may be interested in doing something from a "freshen" to complete rebuilds after this coming season myself.
That is, after I talk myself out of something juuuuuust a bit bigger.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Because, I noticed he said "Low Cost" and that is something I would be interested in also. (plus a few ponies)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy

BBB

Me too!! The heads alone are worth twice the winning bid.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Gen V Cast Cranks worth $$

Took my Gen V blocks and stock, cast cranks in to the machine shop last week and he offered me $650 each for the cranks.(part #10114188)

Apparently, they're hard to find and the truck market pays $1900 each from GM....
Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
schurgevt i talk to scott atATK High Performance Sales 1(800) 421-3746 x 309 he gave me great deal lowest price one year warntty if your keeping the boat i buy new motor with all good suff check the prices out a lot cheaper than merc
Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
Because, I noticed he said "Low Cost" and that is something I would be interested in also. (plus a few ponies)
I may be interested in doing something from a "freshen" to complete rebuilds after this coming season myself.
That is, after I talk myself out of something juuuuuust a bit bigger.
If you're looking to rebuild and upgrade your Merc 330 while retaining most of the most of the major parts such as the cast cranks, rods, GM oval "peanut port" heads, then you can bring the HP up to about 420hp or so,...but this will greatly depend on what kind of exhaust system is used.

During the rebuild I would use forged pistons vs cast.
Have the 3/8" rods shot peened, reconditioned and install ARP rod bolts.
I would at least have the "peanut port" heads bowl/pocket ported and short turn radius work (they already have hardened seats) and install stanless steel valves. You can upgrade to a larger 2.19" intake valve and 1.85" exhaust valve, but it will cost more $$$ for the labor of intalling them. The larger valves are good for maybe an additional 15hp or so. A good valve job too.

Upgrade cam profile for more power. This will included new valve springs, retainers, locks. Either flat tappet or roller cam....a roller cam and lifters will easily approach $1000 or so.

Last I knew the stock Merc 330 engine came with 5/16" push rods.....and should be swaped out for a decent 3/8" pushrod, but then you'll have to turn right around and buy guide plates to accomodate the larger 3/8" push rod diameter.

Swap out the stock GM stamped steel rocker arms for some decent aftermarket roller style rocker arms.

Blocks, If it is a 2-bolt main block just have the bolts replace with studs. Installing studs in the mains will usually require having the mains "align honed". Have the cylinders bored and honed with torque plates, and have someone (who knows what they're doing) do a "bore notch" job on the cylinders. This increases air flow around the shrouded valves---very cheap $$$ for the 20-30hp gained. Also, have the blocks "square decked" and have the mains "align honed". If the rotating assembly does not spin nicely within the block, then you'll have problems....and to avoid bad day it all starts with a accurately machined block.

Have the rotating assembly balanced.

Remove the GM "pancake" style intake manifold and install an aftermarket aluminim hi-rise intake manifold. The type/design you buy/use (single plane or dual plane) will depend on what exhaust system you will be using on the engine. An aluminum hi-rise intake manifold will defenately add some "BLING" effect to your engine vs the stock GM pancake style.

A Holley 750cfm carb would be adequate for hi-perf 454 cubed engine.

You can still use the stock Merc Thunderbolt iginition and oil pan.

Exhaust system???.....can't really say enough about a well breathing aftermarket exhaust system vs the stock Merc cast iron junk. It's a combination of the components being used and a bad breathing exhaust system will choke the engine and keep all the other components from performing their best.

My cousin's boat has several hours on his engines so far---and whether it is a ticking time bomb I cannot say. We did this back in the mid 1980's with a couple of friend's boats with Merc 330's we upgraded in the same manner (cast cranks, 3/8" rods) and and they lived for many years/seasons/hours @5200-5500rpms. Hope this has helped.

Last edited by KAAMA; 01-19-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by schurgervt
What is the best low cost option for improving power from a stock, worn out 330 hp 454 with a bravo drive? I could rebuild and port it but how much could i exspect from those peanut heads? I also have a Holly Projection which might be more economical than the Quadrajet. I think if I could buy a take out later model injected engine but that still could get exspensive. Any sugestions?
Rebuilding is always more economical if we're working with a good customers core. As for the most bang for the buck, we always recommend a 4.250 stroker kit for the old style, gen-4's. Why bother re-sizing rods, turning crankshafts and such when we can supplying a rotating assemblies with new aftermarket rods, new crank, and pistons, rings & bearings, and balance it for around 1k. Now, you got a 496 which offers huge gains in tq. let alone hp. Dump those "penis" ports for a set of easily found casting# 049 0r #781 large oval ports. Some pocket porting, 2.19int.-1.88ex. valves, a decent hyd.flat-tappet around [email protected] .540 lift, nice single plain hi-rise like a Weiand team-G and 850 holley-dp. We see 500+hp on the dyno all day at under 5200. Like Kaama said, it all starts with precision machine work, (and bore notches) not to mention great flame travel using the flat-top piston for the 496& decking the heads around 115cc's our engines hum nicely with 9.5:1cr. Just my .o2-Mark
Old 01-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Registered

There are 3 peanut port intakes(that I've found) 1 Edelbrock and 2 Weiand. Weiand Action Plus 8017 hi rise and a new Street Warrior lo rise. I don't remember the Edelbrock model #.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding or replacing to get the most from a 330 hp 454

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.