Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Security Measures for Buying a Boat 1400 miles away. >

Security Measures for Buying a Boat 1400 miles away.

Notices

Security Measures for Buying a Boat 1400 miles away.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Security Measures for Buying a Boat 1400 miles away.

ANY one know where I can get some forms to notorize or some sort Of a secure way to buy a boat .When doing the money transfer..Would like to feel secure..
Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hire a marine title company to handle the closing for you. I think a notary's bond is like $5K in most states. Not much protection there.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
ANY one know where I can get some forms to notorize or some sort Of a secure way to buy a boat .When doing the money transfer..Would like to feel secure..
best security is to go and do the deal in person. Go pay, and take away, don't mean to be a smartass but it is the only way.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
best security is to go and do the deal in person. Go pay, and take away, don't mean to be a smartass but it is the only way.
AGREED !!!!! do yourself a favor and i like the GO PAY and TAKE IT AWAY approach ......quick example bought a boat 8 hours from home ,flew down went for a ride no haggle gave seller exactly what he was asking . handed over Cashiers check and headed home while boat needed some paint touched up and would be done in 30 days . fast forward picked up the boat and brought it home and the drives were switched and not the #6s in the photos we took the day of the sea trial and day the boat was paid for ... BUYER BEWARE
good luck ...
Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat buying out of state.

Trust me I have bought more than one out of state. Give him a deposit,of which may or may not be refundable,most if you talk to them before you buy will refund it. Take your cash or check go look at the boat,if it's what you want or what was conveyed to you buy it. I have seen to many deals go bad when you are not there when the big money changes hands.Just my 2cents JOHN

Last edited by Fenderjack; 02-03-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Bought A Boat In November 1100 Miles Away - Got The Bank Loan In Order And Found Out When Money Would Transfer - Good Communication With Seller Is Nice - Water Tested The Boat Shook Hands, Called My Bank To Start Money Transfer - Done Deal - Signed Off Title And Trailer - Drove Home With The Boat!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered

Interesting this topic came up. I could use some advice as well! I am having trouble getting the title for the powerquest I just bought. Did as everyone said. The guy had the boat finaced with Fifth Third Bank. The majority of the payment was a cashier's check to the seller and the bank. I have done some checking online and it seems many people have had trouble getting their title's back from this bank after payoff. I think the seller is being honest. But what the H can I do to get the title????