8-71 Low Profile Supercharger/manifold/spark Arrestor >

8-71 Low Profile Supercharger/manifold/spark Arrestor

Notices

8-71 Low Profile Supercharger/manifold/spark Arrestor

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
Carbs did cross my mind but they would not solve my clearance issue. It may not be the best EFI system but cold starts are great and has had great manners in any temp or humidity. The advantage carbs have is that they are tunable by the average guy.
Jeb,
Another advantage to the MEFI3 is spark knock protection. The computer will pull spark back out of the timing curve if it detects knock. Even though I could make more power with carbs (only because of the additional CFM), there's no way I am giving up the good idleing, easy starting hot or cold, and less maintenance of EFI (once it's set up).
Changing to carbs would also require fabbing up new linkage and changing the fuel system to low pressure delivery. Easy to do, but additional expense.
Since we have successfully done 575 throttle body injection on a 871 application, there's no reason not to when you weigh the +s and -s.
Steve
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Jeb, Even though I could make more power with carbs (only because of the additional CFM), there's no way I am giving up the good idleing, easy starting hot or cold, and less maintenance of EFI (once it's set up). Steve
My thoughts exactly. My buddy has a Tiger with 575's and they are easy starting, well-mannered engines in ANY weather. Saturday, while we were rafting up, his 575s purred away while my carbs were not liking the cool weather and were a little too lean on the idle circuit. I know, simple turn of the screw but... I would love to have EFI instead of carbs.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Jeb,
Another advantage to the MEFI3 is spark knock protection. The computer will pull spark back out of the timing curve if it detects knock. Even though I could make more power with carbs (only because of the additional CFM), there's no way I am giving up the good idleing, easy starting hot or cold, and less maintenance of EFI (once it's set up).
Changing to carbs would also require fabbing up new linkage and changing the fuel system to low pressure delivery. Easy to do, but additional expense.
Since we have successfully done 575 throttle body injection on a 871 application, there's no reason not to when you weigh the +s and -s.
Steve
I was not aware of the knock sensor. That is great for a supercharger app.