575sci loading up since Super Chiller >

575sci loading up since Super Chiller

Notices

575sci loading up since Super Chiller

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575sci loading up since Super Chiller

I posted this reply to another thread but I figured I would get more feedback if I started a new thread with a topic that matched my question.

I added Super Chiller's last spring and when the motors are cold and I am idling out of my marina (this takes 4-5 minutes), both motors load up real bad. I'm assuming this has to do with fuel puddle'ing on the top of the intake. When I go to take off I get BLACK smoke out of the exhaust and it takes a second to clean up. I now have to change spark plugs with every oil change (25 hrs).

I have not reprogrammed my ECM's but I am using pick-ups for the intercoolers. Is this something that could be fixed with an ignition upgrade?

Any thoughts/suggestions??
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,969 Likes on 990 Posts

Your ecm's NEED to be remapped. You may also want to look at installing a valve that will not let water to go through the chillers until the pressure reaches 3-5psi.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the Chillers with independant through hull pick ups. There is no water flowing through the Chillers until under way.
it works great.
Could you have another problem?
Any fuel in the pump vent hose? Bad pump.
Accidentally bump an injector? Cracked and leaking.
???
Post the fix, Rob
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also may want to recheck yout tps settings along with the other stuff recomended already.. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

I have a 2002 35' Fountain, so everything should be basically identical to yours. You never have any issues at all with loading up or blowing black smoke? Even after running for a awhile, if I shut it off it doesn’t always start clean. Sometimes I get heavy white smoke like it is getting doused in fuel. The thing is, both motors do it. If one starts clean, the other does. If one loads up, the other does. My motors have always been identical twins. I bought the boat new and the motors have always been great but if one doesn’t fire up real crisp (if their hot or I've been sitting for a bit) the other is always the exact same.

It just seems weird that no one else has experienced the problems I'm having. If it was only one side acting up, I would think it was a TPS or something of that sort.

BTW, each intercooler has it's own pickup.

Thoughts anyone??
Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When we do the Whipple intercoolers and smaller pulleys the engines are way too rich, especially in cold start. That's why the ECM's must be reprogrammed.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered

I'm at sea level and never have black smoke. After 3+ days of running I do have an acceptable amount of soot on the transom.
Idling around at Seattle Sea Fair for hours and through the cut, an hour each way, no problem.
I do some boating at 1500' or so, Banks Lake, Wa, and do load up on cold start sometimes but it clears easily.
Heavy white smoke indicates water/moisture. Black is fuel.
575 head gasket woes?
Have also heard of reversion on low exhaust (to water line) and extended low idle, but not likely on your hull.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Registered

Another thought.
If I breath on the throttle at start they do load up. Your throttle not closing all the way? Due to repositioned cables/routing.
My throttle sticks move one click before slack is taken up. Then any more movement causes RPM change.