Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator >

Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

Notices

Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

What do you think is the best fuel filter/water seperator for a Teague Mount spin on. I've used ones from NAPA but not sure if this is suitable. 575hp. carb. Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Merc has a Badd Azz 50 micron filter , dont know if it will fit the teague mount but call Bob he'll know ....
Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i've always used NAPA GOLD FILTERS...made by Wix...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
i've always used NAPA GOLD FILTERS...made by Wix...
I believe the wix & napa are 100 micron , the merc will catch more fine material esp for the EFI systems .. we used the mercs after the tanks were redone and recirculated with the FRAM and used the merc and the amount of fines they caught were incredable .. we would have clogged some jets if you need them i'll get the part # from Dereberry
Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted this on another thread,I added some info also

also something to think about the Sx/Areomotive inline filters have 2 diff elements for them,the paper one is a 50micron and the stainless element that came with my Whipple kit is a 100micron.For the last 2 summers I took off the water seperator and just running the inline filter,no problems yet, I buy my gas at the same place and dont buy gas on the water

hope this helps,Rob

I run the Napa /Wix filters. I did a little research when I built my blower motors , Probably over kill and anal but I know I don't have a fuel flow prob.

They have more flow capability's than most.

I have a different adapter than most,its a 1x14 thread.

There is some #'s to give ya an idea.
#3005 flows 15gpm has a 3 micron rating and also had a drain in it measures 7.3x3.6

#3604 flow 15gmp 8 microns 9.7x3.6 it bigger
3604xe has a 2 micron rating same flow

The XE series must have a different element inside for the smaller microns .

For the fuel filter adapter base like Teague,Cp,Trick has a 1inch x 12 thread Teagues filter is a fram it was the worse.don't remember on the CP.Almost all of them with a 1 inch x 12 thread flows about the same.

Part #'s
3418 flows 12-15GPM at 12 microns 8.419 x 3.698 about $8.00 at Napa Jobber

#3322 flows 12-15gpm at 5 microns but its 11.4 long

#3364 flows 12-15 gpm at 30 microns and is 5.70 long

#3123 15gpm 12 micron measures 6.629 x3.698

#3118 12gpm at 30 micron,no drain

they all are about the same dia . the length makes a difference in flow.

Napa Wix filter tech line 1800-949-6698

I ck with Teague and CP they rate theres at GPH Not GPM-Gallons Per Minute!!! So when they say it flows 140GPH it flows 2.33 gallons per minute

Rob

I found this on Filtration on microns smaller the micron # the better the filtration
I

Given that many fuel/water separators also provide filtration, a word or two on that subject is in order.

First off, even if a separator doesn’t include an integrated filter of some sort, chances are it will extend the life of your primary fuel filter because it will remove water and at least some other contaminants as well — before the fuel reaches the filter. If it does include a filter, it may be capable enough to replace the standard spin-on fuel filter.

You’ll find two basic filtration means in a separator: surface filtration, in which the fuel travels a short distance through a more or less simple screen where the water collects and then drops off; and depth filtration, in which the fuel takes longer to pass through a longer and/or thicker filter of some kind that absorbs or collects the water and/or other contaminants. With a more substantial filter, remember that fuel will be slowed down as it’s pumped to the engine.

The former type will remove the larger droplets of “free” water, and the latter will get those as well as the droplets in suspension, the milky emulsified water/fuel mixture.

Obviously, you want the fuel/water separator that removes the most water, bearing in mind potential restriction hassles, so look for the manufacturer’s statement of efficiency. If you don’t see one, maybe you should look to another model.

This is where we get to talk about “microns.” One micron is a millionth of a meter, or 39 millionths of an inch. We noted earlier that larger droplets of “free” water are as big as 100 microns in diameter, while suspended water may be just two or three microns. A human hair is about 50 or 60 microns thick, incidentally.

Filter and separator manufacturers will talk about “micron ratings,” but beware. You may come across the phrase “nominal micron rating,” but TMC warns this means nothing on its own. It refers to the filter medium’s ability to snag particles of a given size at anything under 100% efficiency. But that rating is only useful when combined with its percentage efficiency at removing contaminants. For example, if a filter is rated at 10 microns and 90% efficiency, it supposedly removes 90% of particles that are 10 microns or larger in size. If the manufacturer just talks about being able to catch particles of 10 microns, it might well be only 20% efficient — meaning it removes only one in five particles.

You may also see the phrase “absolute micron rating,” which should be a little more comforting. It tells you how big or small a particle the filter will retain at 100% efficiency.

Once again, remember that fuel-flow rates are critically important here, so don’t judge a separator’s worth solely by its micron or efficiency ratings. You absolutely don’t want a separator that alters your fuel pressure, no matter how good its on-paper ratings may seem.
Attached Thumbnails Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-hustler-dyno-3.6-06-002-large-.jpg   Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-out-drive-5-1-06-009-large-.jpg   Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-tickfaw-5-5-2007-124-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 02-21-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Rob
VIP Member

You can see in the picks on the Wix fuel water seperator on my motor, I painted it black because it was plain white,
Attached Thumbnails Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-4-1-05%2520053.jpg   Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-4-1-05%2520055.jpg   Best Fuel Filter/Water Seperator-4-1-05%2520064.jpg  

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
You can see in the picks on the Wix fuel water seperator on my motor, I painted it black because it was plain white,
Holy crap Rob , that was like a book gonna print that page and put it in the Skater folder ....
ROCK ON !
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

You might want to check out www.ramcoperformance.com and their FloMax 300 filter/seperator. We use it on our HO750 engines as well as our custom Raylar engines. It has excellent flow characteristics, filters down low on micron size and the quality of the head and the replaceable spin on filters are excellent as well as very affordable to purchase complete and as well as the replaceable spin on canisters. When it comes to filtering fuel, these guys can't be beat.
I like products that work and are really a value.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Eric
Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
You might want to check out www.ramcoperformance.com and their FloMax 300 filter/seperator. We use it on our HO750 engines as well as our custom Raylar engines. It has excellent flow characteristics, filters down low on micron size and the quality of the head and the replaceable spin on filters are excellent as well as very affordable to purchase complete and as well as the replaceable spin on canisters. When it comes to filtering fuel, these guys can't be beat.
I like products that work and are really a value.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray that looks like a nice piece also