Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which hose fitting or end would you use? >

Which hose fitting or end would you use?

Notices

Which hose fitting or end would you use?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which hose fitting or end would you use?

Let's say you need a 45 degree bend; would you use a 45 degree AN-NPT adapter and straight hose end or use a straight adapter and the 45 degree hose end? I haven't decided on -8 or -10, but I'm thinking I might not have enough room if I go with the straight adapter and -10 hose/fittings. I don't want to restrict flow but I don't know how the 45 adapter is inside. I'm leaning towards the 45 adapter and straight end.

For the curious, this is for a remote oil filter for my truck's 496.

Last edited by handfulz28; 02-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I would recommend you stay away from 90* an - pipe adpaters. They are too restrictive. Stay with straight pipe to an adapters and 90* or 45* smooth bend hose ends. For the record, my personal preference is Earls.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Straight adapter and 45 degree hose end will have the best flow. Goodridge is also a good brand.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered

Yeah, would never use a 90 adapter, but hoping the 45 won't hurt so much, especially at -10.

Is Goodridge making fittings in black? I remember Lofty posting a picture of black and I saw XRP at SEMA a couple years ago. Even Jegs brand is offered in black.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Hose Ends

I Am A Earls Dealer In Detroit , And We Get This Question All Of The Time. The Best Thig To Do Is Use A Straight Adaptor. Then Use A Bent Tube Hose End. Most People Do Not Relise That The Bent Tube Hose End Is Designed To Flow The Same As A Straight Hose End. Our Competers Use Standard Black Coat Anodizing. This Is Just For Looks. Earls Uses -ano-tuff Hard Coat Anodizing, This Changes The Structure Of The Aluminum And It Will Pass A 2000 Hour Salt Spray Test. I Have These In Service In Salt Water All Over The U.s. And We Do Not Get Any Returns Or Problems
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jb-fse
I Am A Earls Dealer In Detroit , And We Get This Question All Of The Time. The Best Thig To Do Is Use A Straight Adaptor. Then Use A Bent Tube Hose End. Most People Do Not Relise That The Bent Tube Hose End Is Designed To Flow The Same As A Straight Hose End. Our Competers Use Standard Black Coat Anodizing. This Is Just For Looks. Earls Uses -ano-tuff Hard Coat Anodizing, This Changes The Structure Of The Aluminum And It Will Pass A 2000 Hour Salt Spray Test. I Have These In Service In Salt Water All Over The U.s. And We Do Not Get Any Returns Or Problems

The regular blue/red swivel seal fittings don't last long with water running thru them.The soldered seam corrodes.I am getting 3-4 years out of them,I wonder if the black ones have the same type solder at the seam?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Braze Joint

The Anodizing On The Std Red -blue Does Not Have The Long Term Wear And Tare For Salt Water. The Hard Coat Does , We Have Not Had A Failure In Salt Water, And Have Customers That Are In To There 5th Season.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Anodizing On The Std Red -blue Does Not Have The Long Term Wear And Tare For Salt Water. The Hard Coat Does , We Have Not Had A Failure In Salt Water, And Have Customers That Are In To There 5th Season.

The rep at PRI told me that the ano-tuff would hold up better than the std red, I just cant get use to the black compared to the bling of the red/blue Also changing 16 #12 swivel seals to the black ones$$ I wish and if they could use a different solider on them that would solve the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Which hose fitting or end would you use?-tickfaw-5-5-2007-124-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Braze Joint

The Braze Joint On The Ano-tuff Is Better Do To The Way The Ano-tuff Is Done. The Braze Joint Absorbes Material In This Process And The Salt Water Does Not Attack This.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have aluminum tabs on my boat and have them rmoved right now. Is there somewhere I can send them to have this Ano Tuff Hard Coat anodizing done ?? This sounds like a great solution as opposed to paint or powder coating....

Quick Reply: Which hose fitting or end would you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.