Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydraulic steering or counter rotation? >

Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Notices

Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed to a counter rotation Alpha 1 and it made a huge difference. The on and off throttle twitch disapeared. Much more relaxing to drive. My next step is to build a set of stroker small blocks.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to switch my Nova II over to a counter-rotation drive this spring also. Would you guys suggest turning out, or in?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question about hydraulic steering, i have internal hydraulic steering, i guess the tie rod deal, but a lot of people have these rams on the outside, what is the diffrence/ benefits?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Registered

I run my CR lower on the starboard side. It gives a little more stern lift and is easier to control around the docks. Remember that you have to reverse your shifter when you put on the CR lower.
There are three types of steering.
Cable internal hydraulic uses a rack and cable from the helm to a stern hydraulic cylinder inside by the gimble.
Cable external hydraulic uses the same helm cable to activate the one or two external hydraulic cylinders.
And full hydraulic uses a hydraulic helm back to the external cylinders.
If your going 70 plus you should consider external hydraulic for safety reasons. I'm trying to work it into my budget when I repower.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered

out usualy handles better, in might get you 1-2 mph . you just have to experiment
Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered

the only way to know which way you will like the props turning is to try both ways. you have to switch the drives (or at least the lowers) to change rotation. try all your props turning in and write everything down. then try all your props out and write everything down. then make your decision on how you want to leave it. alot of work, but can be worth it
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing bothering me about the original post is two right-hand rotation propellers should make the boat heel to the LEFT. Something else is wrong here.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
The only thing bothering me about the original post is two right-hand rotation propellers should make the boat heel to the LEFT. Something else is wrong here.
It would heel left and pull right.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thats what mine does with two RH drives. It heels left, the only real time I feel the pull is exiting waves on Lake Michigan. Other wise on flat water. I can let go of the wheel and it stays the course. But as I add more horsepower to the boat, I can tell this is going to be more and more of a problem. SO it time to reverse my thinking (get it) O,h.... that joke was SO BADD!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yikes
I run my CR lower on the starboard side. It gives a little more stern lift and is easier to control around the docks. Remember that you have to reverse your shifter when you put on the CR lower.
There are three types of steering.
Cable internal hydraulic uses a rack and cable from the helm to a stern hydraulic cylinder inside by the gimble.
Cable external hydraulic uses the same helm cable to activate the one or two external hydraulic cylinders.
And full hydraulic uses a hydraulic helm back to the external cylinders.
If your going 70 plus you should consider external hydraulic for safety reasons. I'm trying to work it into my budget when I repower.

Note: You only reverse the shifters if you are running bravos. The shifters are not reversed for alpha counter rotating drives.

I have a question that was brought here on the thread. I have the alpha's turning in and the boat always leans to the starboard side. If I turned both drives out, would that correct my lean?

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.