Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hydraulic steering or counter rotation? >

Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Notices

Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Greetings,

I'm in the process of building / restoring an old Formula. It has twin Alpha 1's with the OEM steering ram controlling both drives (tie bar). With the stock motors, the boat pulls HARD to the right.

I have rebuilt one of the engines so far (450hp) but the 2nd motor is untouched. My question is...

Should I build the second motor as a reverse rotation engine, or leave it and go with hydraulic steering?

If I go the engine route, I will also have to locate an Alpha1 gen 1 reverse rotation drive as well as a new cam and starter. I think the cost will probably be about the same as hydraulic steering..? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

--Rainmann
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

Ok to answer part of my own question - apparently you don't need a counter rotating engine with the Alpha's. Apparently the change of direction is handled in the lower unit. So, standard rotation engines, with one running a CR lower unit should take care of that.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,905 Likes on 958 Posts

Correct, you need a counter rotation alpha lower. You probably need hyd steering as well. 450hp is a lot of power for alphas. I would keep a spare drive.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Probably so - I am shopping around for a hydraulic system that won't cost me 5k.... Any suggestions?

The motors are definitely going to be hard on the Alpha's, but I do have a couple of spares. Just not the CR lower units.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Registered

I hope you have paid up your Sea Tow dues. 450 hp with Alphas is not a question of if but rather when they will explode.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rainmann, as stated all mercruiser stern drive engines are left hand. I would get the counter lower first. Good news is the left hand lower is a little tougher than the right.

Counters will get the boat to run better and will put less strain on your steering.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rainmann

I have an 85 Formula 272 with Alpha one, Gen 1's, std rotation with 350 mags. I am about to change the port drive to CR for speed, since my boat does not pull at all. I could let go the stearing wheel just about any speed and it still no pull. I wouls also check your trim tabs and your skeg alignment, as well as the distance on your tie bar. Measure the outside drive and the inside stearing arm holes. (the pins) They should be the same.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Registered

i had a 26' nova w/twin 350's pulled alot had to hold on to the wheel. it also leaned to the port side pretty good. counters are much better,not even close. u probably won't need the new steering with counterrotating drives unless your going over 70
Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Registered

Paradox, You are right to a certain degree that something is likely worn, but a lot of boats will pull hard to the right with both drives in RH rotation even when everything is the way it should be. The problem is not while running, but when backing out of the throttle. My brother has an older Nova with twins that doesn't have CR, both gimbals have been rebuilt, steering is excellent condition, and it has a tie bar with no slop. His still pulls a pretty nasty turn when dropping from WOT to idle quickly. Whenever I drive it, I compensate by backing out of the port motor a little ahead of the starboard, but in an emergency situation, pulling out of the throttles all at once can be unnerving and potentially cause its own set of problems. CR is the way to go.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an old 1979 formula 26 and changed it to counter rotating alpha drives. It made a huge difference in ride attitude. When you go over a wave the boat would be a little squirrely with the two rights. After the swap to counter rotation, the boat would fly more level and straight, and not want to wander around as much. definately a move I would make if I was you. You may want to consider putting the counter on the starboard side if speed is what you are after.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering or counter rotation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.