Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
MK IV timing cover change require dropping oil pan? >

MK IV timing cover change require dropping oil pan?

Notices

MK IV timing cover change require dropping oil pan?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK IV timing cover change require dropping oil pan?

Just dreaming of an in-boat cam change and wondering if I really have to drop the pan. There's two pan bolts that thread into the cover which should be no problem, but those two angled nipples might throw things off?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No...However you will need to loosen the front bolts on the pan a little to remove and you will need to snip the corners of the timing cover to get it to slide back in.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
you will need to loosen the front bolts on the pan a little to remove and you will need to snip the corners of the timing cover to get it to slide back in.
Which front bolts besides those that actually go through the cover? The book shows the oil pan gaskets as a four piece deal; trying to avoid messing any of that up (other than around timing cover).

Which corners need snipping? I'm thinking of upgrading to some pretty covers while I have them off.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The front bolts on the oil pan need to be removed. When you pull off the cover you will see where the replacement gaskets go for the pan. The four parts in the kit would be 1 cover gasket, 2 oil pan gaskets, 1 oil seal for timing cover. This is a simple job assuming you can get a puller on the balancer with the engine in the boat. I had to fabricate one to make it shorter to pull mine off while in the boat.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never been sucessful installing a timing cover without dropping the pan.
It's a real bear to get the timing cover back in place and after all the hard work, the end result is a nasty oil leak.

-Kurt
Old 03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

Thanks Kurt, just when I was almost feeling OK with trying this.

I'm a ZERO Tolerance person when it comes to leaks so if it can't be perfect, I won't even attempt it.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good luck doing it. I replaced mine with a cover for a cam driven water pump. The ffront 2 bolts on each side was all Ihad to lossen. No leaks either engine.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

Loosen as many bolts on the front of the oil pan as you can, snip the L+R lower corners of the timing cover then on a grinder blend them so you have a smooth contour. Do not use the crappy little pieces of gasket sopplied in the kit. Buy some "Right Stuff" made by Permetex its a very high grade sealant kinda like thick silicon. Use plenty in place of the gasket and your off to the races. Note: do not install the harmonic ballancer with a hammer use a propper instalation tool, looks like a large fine threaded 9/16 bolt and nut. If you use a hammer you will wreck the rear thrust bearing.

Last edited by Andy; 03-20-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have changed cams several times, no big deal if you have the room in front...remove the ft lower bolts, and when you re-install, remove the ft rubber seal, put a nice thick bead of rtv instal cover and smooth out sealer, should be good to go, Rob