Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody use a Volvo outdrive? >

Anybody use a Volvo outdrive?

Notices

Anybody use a Volvo outdrive?

Old 02-16-2002, 11:53 PM
Wildfire

Default Anybody use a Volvo outdrive?

The question is: Why only a few run Volvo outdrives.

I have read that they are as strong as Bravos, so I wonder why not use them. I have also read that they can be picked up used for good prices.

Did I mention that my magnum has one (275 with trim). My service manual indicates that almost all parts and subassemblies are interchangeable from model to model.

Just a new guy asking those "stupid" questions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a volvo duoprop on my cruiser. It has just under 1000hrs on it and runs great. It has never given me trouble except trim lines. It is only powered by a 230hp, but none the less, I like volvo. My Scarab has bravo 1s and if I can get 1000 hrs out of those it will be a miracle. Of course those are going to be subject to a little more abuse with 400+ hp per side. Time will tell.

BT
Old 02-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volvo 200 drive was not that robust and therefore they built the 250 then the 270. the 270,280 and up are good drives and can handle decent power but lack in hydrodynamic efficiency and the steering helmet flexes a lot. Add external steering and a nose cone and they are good to 75 or 80 and about 375 hp. There is not a lot of choices for propellers and the 280/290 transom plate with trim is also a must have for any performance application. Many guys with old Donzi's have kept the volvo drive and just changed the transom plates to get the power trim. Ironman.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:24 PM
Greg Mc

I'm one of the guys with an old Donzi. Mine had a 200 Volvo and although a great workhorse it was a slug going thru the water. I always felt like a was dragging a bedspread around behind the boat. After puking two of them and a built up 289 I am going for a sbc and an Alpha SS. Hope to get it back in the water this spring.

Old 02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

My '67 16' Donzi has the Volvo AQ200B, and it has served the boat well for 35 years! The last shop to service it says it is built like a "rock-crusher". For the last 6 years the 302 in front of it has pushed close to 300 horses through it.

I agree it is not the fastest drive in the lake, but it sure has given an insane number of years of durable service!
Old 02-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Present and accounted for, Too Old. (Nice daughter, by the way... )
I run (2) 600DPX's in my 38' Formula and one in my 28' Mannerfelt ("BatBoat"). This is current-generation stuff, and definitely pressed to its limits with this much power. So far, I have only had one performance related failure (the upper gearcase in the BatBoat after about 60 hours of abuse). I do not run the drives very high on the boat, so they are not quite as fast as it might be with a high-mounted Bravo, but the efficiency, acceleration, and handling are great.
I saved LOTS of money over the equivalent Mercury product, but there is this "image" thing to deal with. Volvo Penta is a very conservative company, and simply has not focused on promoting their products in the high-performance market, being happy to let Mercury play as they will. When people starting breaking the DPX's on the 500/525/600's by mounting them way up high, Volvo simply pulled the plug on the entire project rather than selling product they knew would not be as reliable as they wanted.
That being said, I have heard a lot of good things about the durability of the older (280) Volvo drives, but as power goes up and up, you need to think carefully about your overall package.
In short - it's more about marketing than hardware.