Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gimbal Bearing - new design? Drive experts chime in plz. >

Gimbal Bearing - new design? Drive experts chime in plz.

Notices

Gimbal Bearing - new design? Drive experts chime in plz.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gimbal Bearing - new design? Drive experts chime in plz.

I have heard there are 2 ways to install the gimbal bearing.

1st is the Merc way. Merc puts them in w/ notches towards inside of boat and the dot is visible. To remove the bearing you need a slide hammer to pull it from the bore.

OR

This way:
Take your old bearing apart by removing the bearing from the carrier by finding the install slots, rotating the bearing and popping it out of the carrier. Then install with slots facing out so you change bearing in future.

Here is a schematic of the bearing and the carrier. If you can see the "dot" like in pic A you can not remove the bearing from the carrier. If it looks like pic. B, you can remove the bearing from the carrier.

Now,
I was told they have redesigned the gimbal bearing for Bravo X and above. The new design has an offset and allows the bearing to sit 1/8" further in (away f/ drive) to allow for the larger u-joint shaft. Thus if you install bearing the other way (so you can remove it) that it will eventually cause damage. Was also told Merc put out a bulletin on this.
Is this all true????
Attached Images   

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

I replaced my gimbal bearings when I winterized my boat last fall and installed them the aftermarket way so you can see the 2 notches,and replace the centers without a slide hammer.
I have Bravo drives and was told it wont hurt anything,seems to line up ok.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merc has always suggested to replace the complete bearing. For years before the XR's many people would cheat and just replace the bearing and leave the race. Merc began installing the original so that you had to change the complete bearing. If you have a pre XR you can cheat. If you have an XR or newer you better not. Pay attention to the offset in the bearing. Old style is centered new is not.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 03-22-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Merc has always suggested to replace the complete bearing. For years before the XR's many people would cheat and just replace the bearing and leave the race. Merc began installing the original so that you had to change the complete bearing. If you have a pre XR you can cheat. If you have an XR or newer you better not. Pay attention to the offset in the bearing. Old style is centered new is not.
when you say offset,are you talking about the center race that makes contac with the 2 shaft orings?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At one time they had a two different sized gimbal bearings. One was for the bigger u-joint assembly on the X series drives. Now all the gimbal bearings are the same size (smaller) and will fit in any application. At the same time they also made the u-joint assemble a little smaller on the new X series drives. I always put the dot on the outside, and line up the grease fitting. It never made sense to me that they didn't put the dot where the grease fitting was so you could line it up easier on installation.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
At one time they had a two different sized gimbal bearings. One was for the bigger u-joint assembly on the X series drives. Now all the gimbal bearings are the same size (smaller) and will fit in any application. At the same time they also made the u-joint assemble a little smaller on the new X series drives. I always put the dot on the outside, and line up the grease fitting. It never made sense to me that they didn't put the dot where the grease fitting was so you could line it up easier on installation.
we marked the edge of the bearing (facing the drive) with a black marker to be able to align the groove with the grease fitting ....m
Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who in their rite mind wouild only change the center.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
who in their rite mind wouild only change the center.
I second that thought.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatnt
when you say offset,are you talking about the center race that makes contac with the 2 shaft orings?
The bearing is offset fwd the red dot marks the aft side. The bearing from the side view is offset fwd in the race to allow more cross bearing clearance.