Aluminum Exhaust Manifold Comparrison? >

Aluminum Exhaust Manifold Comparrison?

Notices

Aluminum Exhaust Manifold Comparrison?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the all polished Dana's...NICE.

We can get them if anyone is interested.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector
Does anyone know of a summary of the different Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds available for Marine BBC applications (i.e. Stainless Marine, Eddie Marine, Revolution Marine, Gil...). Would like to see a summary of 1) Performance improvements, 2) Weight reduction, 3) Pruchase price and, 4) Warranty. Also interested in real world experiences with these products. I am looking to replace my cast iron manifolds on twin 502 MPIs and want to maintain the silent choice system.
Thanks.
I've had experience with Stellings, CMI and Stainless Marine.

On my old boat, I bought it with SM Gen II manifolds. They were purchased and installed on the boat in 1993. I bought the boat in 2000, sold it in 2005 and it still had the SM's and they were in perfect shape! I'd also venture to guess that the new owner of my Scarab is still running them. Stainless Marine offers a 5 year warranty.

Stellings. great performance but after 3-4 years they start leaking.

CMI - Several boats I've worked on had them and my current boat has them. One boat, tombone1993 now owns, had big tubes. They constantly leaked and enevitibly were the demise of a few engines in that boat. On my boat the headers have needed repairs the last 4 out of 5 seasons. CMI says the new ones are better and are at least now offering a 2 year warranty.

I haven't tried the Dana's but I've heard good things.

Since you have stock engines you might want to consider Stainless Marine Gen II's, they might be the last exhaust system you ever buy and they're priced very well! I would be running the Stainless Marine Gen III's right now but they don't fit because my centerlines are too tight.. I actually bought a set and tried to make it work because I wanted them so bad but I couldn't make it work... I'm actually considering running the Gen II"s instead of replacing my e-tops even though they are not ideal for my application......
Old 03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

I have twin 502 MPI's in my Hustler too. I also went with the Stainless Marine manifolds. Very clean install with all correct brackets included. Quality product that I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Brownie was good at Stainless Marine to answer questions prior to pulling the trigger.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK, Who has the best price on the DANA or STAINLESS MARINE Systems?

It sounds like the most popular choices are the Dana Marine Flow Torques and the Stainless Marine Gen IIs. The Gen IIs apprear to have an excellent long term durability record, is there any reliability history with the Dana's? I feel the Dana's win the appearance comparison (even with the cast riser). If you are a dealer, now is your chance to sell two engine sets of either product (depending on price and the mood I in at the time I order). Please provide the cost of two complete engine systems for 1997 502 MPIs with silent choice exhaust (need shift/throttle brackets, PCM brackets and Oil Filter brackets along with short risers for the silent choice). Please include total cost including shipping and insurance to 48895.
Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

It sounds like the most popular choices are the Dana Marine Flow Torques and the Stainless Marine Gen IIs. The Gen IIs apprear to have an excellent long term durability record, is there any reliability history with the Dana's? I feel the Dana's win the appearance comparison (even with the cast riser). If you are a dealer, now is your chance to sell two engine sets of either product (depending on price and the mood I in at the time I order). Please provide the cost of two complete engine systems for 1997 502 MPIs with silent choice exhaust (need shift/throttle brackets, PCM brackets and Oil Filter brackets along with short risers for the silent choice). Please include total cost including shipping and insurance to 48895.
Thanks.
add in the possability of 2 more sets to zip code 42003. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks.
Check with board member ( Bobl ) his prices are pretty hard to beat for the Dana products and he is a straight shooter.

Here is his website too www.fullthrottlemarine.com/

Jon
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just something to think about.
If you have a seawater pump failure and the engine overheats - the exhaust has been run dry and I have seen the aluminum manifolds melt from being run dry.
I run Lightning headers and have burned the paint off mine from running dry. ( I run my headers almost dry on purpose to cut backpressure - I have dumps that spray the excess water on the top of my drives)
Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Just something to think about.
If you have a seawater pump failure and the engine overheats - the exhaust has been run dry and I have seen the aluminum manifolds melt from being run dry.
I run Lightning headers and have burned the paint off mine from running dry. ( I run my headers almost dry on purpose to cut backpressure - I have dumps that spray the excess water on the top of my drives)
The same thing will happen with stainless steel exhuast systems and usually the welds crack or you get porosity in the metal... The Gil manifolds always seemed to be more succeptable when someone has overheating problems.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend with a 29' Baja Outlaw with stock 7.4L MPIs.

He bought a set of aluminum replacements. Boat is much lighter and faster. Never hit the rev limiters before. Had to go up in pitch. I'll find out the brand name if you're interested. They were pretty inexpensive.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Edward R. Cozzi

Yes, it would be interesting to know what brand of manifold could make that level of improvement.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Exhaust Manifold Comparrison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.