Notices

A/C install

Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C install

Planning to install A/C in our Poker Run edition this summer and have a few questions?
(1) Is 5000 BTU large enough? (Not looking to turn cabin into a ice box just make it comfortable 80deg. at night with 80deg. water temp.)
(2) Considering 110 volt A/C vs. 12 volt D/C.
(3) Best location to mount self contained unit (under V-berth vs. port or starboard closet.)
(4)Best location to mount raw water clam intake for water circulation pump (engine bilge vs. mid ship under Cabin step)

Any other helpful tips appreciated

Thanks Steve
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, a 5000 would be the min. I would use, you need to look at where you can set the unit where you can get the wiring, water lines in out and condesation to drain overboard, mount the pump in the engine room BELOW the water line. I am a disttributor and installer for mermaid marina a/c and been in the marina a/c business for 21 years, feel free to give me a call and discuss, Rob @ E-Z Marine Specialties, 540-786-8111, also sell units cheap....
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

ezstriper
Thanks for the reply, leaning towards 110volt unit what size would you recommend? Also what do you you think about mounting water pump pick up on the transom above the bilge drain plug?
Thanks Steve
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running a 6500 Mermaid in my 32' and it does great. Mounted my AC under the sink cabinet because it made for running the duct a non issue. My return air is done by slotting the cabinet door. If I mounted it under the vee birth, running the supply and return air would have been almost impossible trying to keep the duct outta sight. Just wouldn't have worked out. Check how you can run the ductwork to help decide on AC location. I'm not familar with the Hustlers. My pump and strainer are in the engine compartment. But, I installed a thru hull fitting below water line (looks just like the bilge pump fitting), but thru the side because I run my AC with the boat on the lift out of the water. I need access to the fitting. Mounted underneath would have made it a pain to reach in my application.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply's
Steve
Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Registered

you may end up sucking the prime out of the system and require bleeding uopn starting the unit each time, but never installed one there, understand your thoughts though, the mermaids come with a slick bleed valve in the install kit, without it you have to remove a hose and thats a pain in the ass....Rob
Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Registered

on the size unit the 6500 is a better buy, as the 5200 are done really compact and will run on a honda 1000 watt gen, so I sell lots of them because of that, but a 6500 reverse is a little cheaper than the 5200, but if you are thinking the portable gen deal then the 5200 is the way to go, we have put that unit in a 30 chapperal and 27 formula and did put them under the sinks work great...Rob..you can email me direct if you wish [email protected]
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

Default 12 volt true 18 amp min. dc draw

If you are interested there are 4000 btu and a 6000 btu system available at CruiseNComfortUSA . com.

Last edited by cruise n comfort; 08-27-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: wrong
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Also, be really careful when using those generators I have seen a lot of stories where people have died from the exhaust, even mounted on the bow, it can go anywhere. I use a detector in my cabin and it goes nuts just being in the cove areas with all the other boats, and it is mounted inside.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise n comfort
Also, be really careful when using those generators I have seen a lot of stories where people have died from the exhaust, even mounted on the bow, it can go anywhere. I use a detector in my cabin and it goes nuts just being in the cove areas with all the other boats, and it is mounted inside.

Mine goes off when rafter up to my buddys searay, scary feeling at 3am

I have a hatch ac unit Ive used a few times, 5000btu,it cold at night and is OK in the August sun.I dont use it any more ,its a pain crawling over the $1900 windsheild drunk at night

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 08-27-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: A/C install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.