Notices

Which boat would you choose?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which boat would you choose?

I am looking at two boats both in the $60k range:

98 Baja 38 special w/fresh 525sc engine's on tri axle trailer

91 fountain 38 sport cruiser w/staggered 502's one has 100 hrs. other 400 hrs.

Both boats have ac/heat, fridge, microwave, stove, hot/cold water. What is your opinions?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Steve_H

Baja

the Fountain Cruisers dont have a very good reputation.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve_H
the Fountain Cruisers dont have a very good reputation.
Elaborate please.

I know the 91 he is referring to. I must say, there has got to be a HUGE price difference between the two, just considering the difference in power alone. (doesn't seem like the same buyer would be considering these two)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Baja, I agree w/Steve on re-sale for the fountaan cruiser.
Get a survey on the boat before you part with your cash.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 298 Posts

same price? baja. newer sells better generally speaking... at least for the bank for a loan!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been around a lot of 38 Specials they are a nice rough water performance boat with a larger then average cuddy. There are several nice ones on the market. The one you have found sounds good.

I have only been around two Fountain 38 Sport Cruisers and both were much newer. They were very nice boats but neither owner kept them long at all. Not a good cruiser compared to a true cruiser, not a good performance boat compared with a true performance boat and too big to trailer easy.

Try them both out and see what you like the best and which one best serves your needs.

Happy shopping
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
same price? baja. newer sells better generally speaking... at least for the bank for a loan!

That's what I was saying, not only are they not the same price, the Baja should be substantially more. If it were a matter of the same money it's a no brainer.

I've never been on a 38Special, but I can't imagine the amenities are the same as the SC.

Last edited by PJDiesel; 04-21-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

A 98 38 Special with that power has got to be one HELL of a deal.

I'm sea trailing a 92 38SC tomorrow morning, low $40K's (hence the reason I was defensive about the Fountain)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered

Pj amenitie wise both are pretty similar, the baja does however have a sink and fridge in the cockpit, and also in the cabin galley area.

Fountain is $58k Baja is low $60's I am waiting for interior pics of the Baja, fountain looks to be very well maintained.

I have already been approved for a 20 year loan on the baja, tomorrow I will check if they will go 20 on the fountain being an older boat. My insurance company really does not like boats over 500hp. I have'nt check on insuring the baja.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Huh. There was a newer 38 Special pulled right in the shop there at Boat Boys when I went out to look at that 95. REAL nice looking boat. I didn't hear what year it was, guy that owned the place told me it was just bought by someone for ~$80K, they had just put a few grand worth of extra stuff into it. Deck height seemed lower than the Fountain, cockpit was much cooler looking on the Baja though.

Nothing is going to scare me away (expect the surveyor that is) from the SC. I've searched long and hard at this point.

In my humble opinion, the gentleman with the 91 needs to come down quite a bit for you. I'm fairly positive he also contacted me last week with some details of the boat. Sounded like a nice enough guy, but I'm not sure on his asking price at this point.

Quick Reply: Which boat would you choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.