Coolant in bilge??? >

Coolant in bilge???

Notices

Coolant in bilge???

Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant in bilge???

Ok, got in the boat to change oil Saturday and noticed a little coolant under the port engine plus it looks like some must have got on the belt because there was a little splatter on the firewall. Still coolant in the resevoir but its low. Cleaned it up and let the engine run for a little while and no new leaks. Any idea's where this is coming from? Leaking hose or bad water pump maybe? '04 Model 496 mags with 130 hours.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered

Try to pressure test the system.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Ok, got in the boat to change oil Saturday and noticed a little coolant under the port engine plus it looks like some must have got on the belt because there was a little splatter on the firewall. Still coolant in the resevoir but its low. Cleaned it up and let the engine run for a little while and no new leaks. Any idea's where this is coming from? Leaking hose or bad water pump maybe? '04 Model 496 mags with 130 hours.
My '04 496 Mag does this every winter. Something shrinks up in the cold and she leaks a little coolant into the bilge. Every spring I clean it up and it does not leak during the boating season.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

This type coolant leak on the 496 comes from the two seals on the bottom of the heat exchanger tank on the front of the engine where it pushes into the crossover manifold it sits on. Cleanup the leaks, refill the coolant bottle to correct level and run the boat. If the leak (drip) stops, enjoy the season, if it does not then order two new seals from Mercury, remove the tank and change these two push in seals. Not a seripous problem, happens on a lot of 496's in storage from temp changes.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, hopefully thats the case. Was worried I was going to end up in a bind the day before the Tickfaw 200.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
This type coolant leak on the 496 comes from the two seals on the bottom of the heat exchanger tank on the front of the engine where it pushes into the crossover manifold it sits on. Cleanup the leaks, refill the coolant bottle to correct level and run the boat. If the leak (drip) stops, enjoy the season, if it does not then order two new seals from Mercury, remove the tank and change these two push in seals. Not a seripous problem, happens on a lot of 496's in storage from temp changes.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray, did Merc also state at one time that the 2 stainless hose clamps holding the exchanger in place might have been installed too tight also contributing to the leak? Or did I just dream this up?!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I changed the seals on the port one 2 years ago...

moved my boat the other day to get another out and guess what?

puddle of coolant on the floor...

wonder which side leaked down?

I'll find out next week when I get in to do some commissioning!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

Wink How to stop a 496 closed cooling tank from leaking or dripping

We install the tank in the seals with the seals and flanges dry as a bone, clean!, no oil, coolant or slippery. Make sure the thermostat flange (black aluminum) is in with the correct side up and the "front" mark facing front and the undertank bypass rubber hose coupler installed correctly with the angled edge facing up and back and that clamp tightened properly.
We crank the stainless clamps down just tight enough not to start crushing or denting the tank wall and we never see leaks again. Just our expierence and two cents kick'in in!

When you do your winter storage, loosen the cap on the coolant recovery bottle so not to create a vacuum on the system as the temperatures drop and the coolant and air in the closed cooling system shrinks!

Hope this helps with some struggling here.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
BL6
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a certain type of coolant to use? From auto parts store or Merc? thks!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Registered

Wink

Mercruiser 496's are sold and delivered with Dex-cool or equal as the coolant of choice by Mercury and as such I think thats the best coolant to continue using.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: Coolant in bilge???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.