Notices

Oil Coolers

Old 02-20-2002, 09:40 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Coolers

I am upgrading from a Gen V 7.4L Carb motor to a Gen V 502 Long Block. I want to use as many parts from the 7.4L as possible to start with. The only thing I am thinking about changing now, besides a better intake manifold, is the oil cooler. Since it is so much easier to get at with the engine out I want to get it right the first time. Is a larger than stock oil cooler necessary? I run pretty hard, 15 to 20 minutes at or near wide open sometimes, so I am thinking strongly of the change. I have looked at Eddie Marine coolers on their web site. Has anyone used one of the large ones with the Power Steering cooler? Will it fit in the stock position with a few mods? Does anyone have any others to recommend? I don't mind the $300 bucks if it is needed but, I don't want to spend it if I don't have to. I will be running an Oil Temp Gauge. I am sure that someone has done this before. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Any help out there?
Old 02-21-2002, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

the 575SC uses the same oil cooler you now have, I have been told. Only adds a oil thermostat to warm the oil faster. If using a oil temp gauge, you will be the best judge of whether or not your stock cooler is adequate in the waters you run in. If in doubt, go ahead and upgrade now (but add the t-stat).
Old 02-22-2002, 05:11 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I would first install the temp sensor and a T-stat. it is very important to make sure that the oil is above a certain temp. If it is to cool it wont burn out any moisture in the oil. also if it is to cool it wont protect the engine to its maximum efficiency. If you install the T-stat you don't have to worry about installing a oil cooler that is to big and making it run to cool. It will all balance out. I would check with Bruce at wpm. I heard that he has a oil cooler and T-stat in one. but I don't know the price.

Paul
Old 02-22-2002, 05:30 PM
B.R.S.

I'm running the original coolers from 454 carb mags ('88) on my current motors. They are 510 cid and make 547 HP. I pound the hell out of them on a reguler basis. They see extenbed time at over 4000 rpm. The oil temp usually runs around 230-240 and I have seen them as high as 290 when at wot for long periods but when you slow down a little the temps always drop. I was originally concerned with the temps and my machinist said as long as I run Mobil 1 the temps were not a problem. This winter I had to tear te engines down because of a broken timing chain (don't ever buy anything from comp cams) and there was no sign of oil related damage.

Old 02-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I would first install the temp sensor and a T-stat. it is very important to make sure that the oil is above a certain temp. If it is to cool it wont burn out any moisture in the oil. also if it is to cool it wont protect the engine to its maximum efficiency. If you install the T-stat you don't have to worry about installing a oil cooler that is to big and making it run to cool. It will all balance out. I would check with Bruce at wpm. I heard that he has a oil cooler and T-stat in one. but I don't know the price.

Paul
Old 02-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

Hi Macdad. It was great meeting you last Sat. You're always welcome at Greta Lakes Marina this summer if you can visit Barb and me. E-dock, slip T-3. We'll have a beer chilled for ya.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Thanks for the replys, everyone. Based on your input, I believe I will stay with the stock cooler for now, monitor the temp with the gauge and go from there. Can always change later if necessary.

Hi, Dave. Great party! You sure can cook a turkey.