Black transom after 50 Nautical miles >

Black transom after 50 Nautical miles

Notices

Black transom after 50 Nautical miles

Old 02-24-2002, 04:31 AM
B38
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Bruce, thanks for the tip, will try forsure.
Mike Shaak, I can not run anything less than 90 Octane or else serious detination accures. I always run amoco 93, never have any problems. How could swamp gas make a engine run cleaner.
Hmmm.??????. But I do agree with bruce with the wind blowing the crap back onto my lug of a boat.
Maybe just go faster so it don't get a chance to stick. To bad for the boat wash boy = ME, myself and I.
Boats are intense, but worth all the pain.
Mr. Bravo III
Old 02-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally with an MSD ignition you're not going to get a lot of color on the plugs. You may still be a touch rich, or your carb may need to be cleaned out.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

lower octane gas burns hotter, thus cleaner.

high octane gas contains less energy content for a given volume. Most times, moving from lower octane fuel to higher octane fuel will result in a "leaner" condition, but hardly measurable unless you are on the edge. Used to roadrace motorcycles in the superstxock classes (no internal mods allowed) and the only reason we used race gas was for the consistency in plug readings (cheap crap gave erratic readings). Even then, we used the lowest octane race gas we could get.

Guys with blowers and such are the ones who truly need the high octane brews. Before blowers, I ran my 502s on 87 octane for years. Did bump the timing to 34 total, which was all that the 87 wanted (about 2 degrees more and would knock). Haven't got the blowers on it yet, but expect to set it up for 92/93 and have a toggle swith to the MSD box (digital6+) to trigger a different retard curve to enable the use of 87 when traveling (read: not racing the bassboats).

M
Old 02-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your where you want to be with your carb settings and ignition and your engine is in good order, you may want to try a different brand of gas. the different brands have different additives such as anti oxidants, metal deactivators,deposit modifiers, surfactants, and freezing point depressants.
87 and 92 octane don't have a big difference in combustion chamber temp. 87 will not reduce your emmisions or soot. if you tune your engine to run on 87 you will lose performance and economy. oxygenates reduce the energy content of the fuel, not the octane additives. the octane additives only stabilize the fuel to a higher temp. to reduce spontaneous auto ignition of unburned fuel or knock. thats why you can run more timing with good gas. different brands of gas with the same octane rating are proven to have a different energy content per volume, flame speed, and combustion chamber temp due to the different additives. texaco claims a 30% reduction in engine deposits. if your buying on the water though, your stuck with whats available.
how dirty is the water your cooling with? are you sure it's soot on your transome and not sediment from dirty water?
Old 02-25-2002, 03:49 PM
B38
Registered

excaleagle42, Wow, best advise i heard ever. Thankyou. I will try Texaco next fill up.
You asked about the water type, it was salt water in florida where I had it the worst. But I cruised over to Bimini (Bahamas) and the water was awesome and perfect. The black SEA there and back. This is where I had the soot on my trip to Bimini and back, but my last fill up was in the bahamas. Even in Bimini I noticed the soot from USA gas. But mostly I Splash in the Great lakes area since I live in Wisconsin. Thanks for the reply X.
Thanks Again
Old 02-25-2002, 03:55 PM
B38
Registered

X, oh yeah. You made me realize something, this soot problem was noticed more with southern petrol.
I usualy use petrol in my area, maybe I have better petrol do to where i live. Damn Cold (WI).
Thanks again
Old 02-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

your welcome, i hope it helps.
Fran
Old 02-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

gasoline in norther climates has more butane in it therfore a higher vapor pressure. in the south the vapor pressure is lower so on hot days your engine won't vapor lock, (the butane hits it's boiling point and turns back to a vapor) anyway, the gas is very different depending on region.
Fran
Old 02-25-2002, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kurt,
I am with Bruce on this one. You are probably pretty much stuck with your fuel. If you are all stock you should not need to mess with the jetting anyway. I put a drive shower in my boat and it sprays water all over the darn place, this alone helped keep the transom clean. Certain types of swim platforms, hull shapes, windshields etc. can cause the "station wagon effect" and no amount of effort will keep the transom clean. Look at the back of a motor home compared to a swoopy car. Maybe just some hogged out speedo pickups aimed at the back of the boat to spray water on the transom would do it. You could fabricate some sort of pickup to attach to the anti ventilation plate. Look at how drive showers pick up the water and try somethng like that with a diffuser at the end directed toward the transom.

Cheap simple fixes are always best.
Tim T.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:51 PM
B38
Registered

I see now i have a few thing to try this spring.
OSO rules as usual. Thanks for all the tips.
Something has to work with my App'. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Black transom after 50 Nautical miles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.