Trim pump / Tab not working  ?  ? >

Trim pump / Tab not working ? ?

Notices

Trim pump / Tab not working ? ?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim pump / Tab not working ? ?

My trim pump is not working properly, when I hit the rocker switch it just makes a "clicking" sound and no movement on the tab.
The pumps should be working as they were recently rebuilt. Coiuld this be an electrical issue?
Any advice or recommendations greatly apperciated
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it clicks but doesn't work, you probably have a bad solenoid. You can use one of those cheapo Autozone Ford starter solenoids to test- just swap it in place. If you don't mind being crude, you can jumper it with a pair of pliers- you'll scar up the pliers and the solenoid posts but that doesn't bother some people.

A test light will go a long way. There's power to one of the big terminals on the solenoid and when you apply power to the little terminal, it closes and transfers power to the other big rerminal. If it doesn't, it's bad. If it does, it still may be bad- just because it lights a bulb doesn't mean it's transferring enough current to the motor.

These solenoids are one of the items you need to have spares of on your boat. They do go bad and can ruin a weekend.

P.S. If they were recently rebuilt and they used an automotive solenoid, that just may be your problem. Auto solenoids aren't sealed- they don't last long at all in the wet environment.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

thanks, i will pick up a new solenoid and hope its a chep quick fix.
if its not the solenoiod, you mentioned it could not be getting enough power???? any idea why that would be? poor connections? battteries? etc?
thanks again
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

try tapping the solonoid with the handle end of a screwdriver,,,,they carbon up on the tip end and cause what you are describing .and should get it working

Sometimes even pressing and releasing the switch a bunch of times quickly is enough to get it working.

Even if it starts working I would still get one to have on hand or just replace it ,,,,,,,,its not long for this world !!!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cigret1
thanks, i will pick up a new solenoid and hope its a chep quick fix.
if its not the solenoiod, you mentioned it could not be getting enough power???? any idea why that would be? poor connections? battteries? etc?
thanks again
With use, the internal contacts of the solenoid eventually deteriorate. They'll make a connection but with high resistance. This will let voltage at low amperage flow- like lighting a test light. Not enough to turn a motor.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

Not tryin to hyjack but since we are on the topic I have a tab problem as well. Sometimes it will move and sometimes it won't. When it does it will shutter a little. Also, say its down and it won't go up at wakeless speeds I can get on plane and it will go up to pretty much level and no more. I figure its my pump?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cigret1
My trim pump is not working properly, when I hit the rocker switch it just makes a "clicking" sound and no movement on the tab...
It could also be a blown fuse or tripped breaker in the power feed wire to the pump. Some installations feed the power to the pump on a separate wire from the power for the solenoid. There is usually an inline fuse close to the pump in most of the installations I have seen.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
Not tryin to hyjack but since we are on the topic I have a tab problem as well. Sometimes it will move and sometimes it won't. When it does it will shutter a little. Also, say its down and it won't go up at wakeless speeds I can get on plane and it will go up to pretty much level and no more. I figure its my pump?
Could be a solenoid, could be a weak motor in the pump.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Could be a solenoid, could be a weak motor in the pump.
I will switch my pumps and find out...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

Had a chance to play with the pumps. I inspected all the solenoids and they appear to all be new. The one pump for the drive was making the clicking sound as well, a few whacks on top of the pump and it is now working and sounds normal. So i tried the same on the tab pump, only makes a weak sound while you whack it. im guessing that motor is shot and will need to be replaced.
The drive pump seems to be working fine as of now, while im in there do you think it would just be worth replacing both, so i dont end up out in the lake whacking the pump?
Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Trim pump / Tab not working ? ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.