Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18543
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999baja
has any one found these parts somewhere where they don't cost an arm and a leg. Mercury sells a kit which has both the dic orin and paper cartrige but its about $65.00 for a set . I need two everytime
The best price I have found is on ebay through Shipyard Marine. They sell the filter set (cartridge 35-866171A01 and tray 35-892665) plus o-ring for $56. I ordered two sets and shipping was $7, so $119 total.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320625216814
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish the 2006 cool fuel was like that. It only has the standard filter/separator. It sould have had another finer filter in the pressure system. I have already had one blockage that left me stuck and was a major PIN to fix.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnuts
Wish the 2006 cool fuel was like that. It only has the standard filter/separator. It sould have had another finer filter in the pressure system. I have already had one blockage that left me stuck and was a major PIN to fix.
You might want to check your application. Maybe someone left the primary screen out. Mine is a 2006 Gen 3 cool cell for 6.2 MX MPI. My son in law is for 2005 496 and his uses the same parts. I could see how someone might do that because it could get really dirty and the dealers don't tell you about it. They want to change it themselves because its so easy.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnuts

Hmm, mine is an 06' and has the two filters just as outlined

Steve
Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thank you, great idea for the DIY!

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Pic7 - Filter removed from cup.

Pic8 - Here is all there is to the kit.

Pic9 - Had a little debri from the fuel tank, but no sign of water.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

This is what I took out of mine and replaced with the kit. Shipyard is the best price.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came right from the factory with no screens or filters except the separator. Engine is a 6.2 L. I had it all appart last summer due to unfound blockage that dropped the pressure to the rails. I expected to find screens in both pumps but there were none.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

Default Broken Retaining Screw

Originally Posted by Dave_N
Good information. I agree that the secondary filter (35-892665) should be replaced also.

I learned this the hard way (snapped a bolt off in the module), clean the bolt threads and apply thread sealant before reinstalling the filter cap. Also, don't pull the filter out unless you have a new o-ring for the filter cap. The o-ring swells up slightly and may not reinstall properly.

Merc service bulletin on Gen III Cool-fuel diagnostics;

http://www.marinepartsman.com/Mercur...2004/EN_06.PDF
Hello,
I read that you snapped one of the screws off in the cool fuel filter cup. I did the same thing, I guess I over torqued the screw. Anyhow, how did you resolve the problem? I cannot find a replacement screw without purchasing a whole new cup assembly for $118.

Were you able to find a replacement screw?

How did you remove the piece broken off inside the module?

Thanks, Rob
Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink CoolFuel II can be un-cool!

This is a great post and information for 2004 and up Mercruiser engine owners. Great job Guys!
The older Cool Fuel systems had an obvious spin on canister fuel water sepersator and they tended to get changed often because they were very obvious and visible. In the newer engines with Cool fuel II this (very small) filter set up is sort of out of sight and almost hidden under a simple black cap on the unit itself and tends to get overlooked quite often by boaters on the newer boats.
A lot of engine dmage we see and others report recently stems from these filter not getting changed regularly and often enough and the resulting drop in fuel flow rate and pressure drops on the newer EFI engines tend to be very damaging and many times disaterous to the engines when "lean fuel" conditions appear. With no fuel pressure monitoring and a fuel pump/filter unit that is restricted from debris and water the damage to the engine under loads can happen very quickly!
The other thing to watch out for in these CoolFuel II units especially in salt water is that they are cooled with a simple raw water differential in line fitting in the raw water line and with the fuel assembly housing being cast aluminum the can after a period both clog and rot thru putting either overheated fuel in the fuel system or even worse raw water which will quickly wipe out the entire EFI fuel system especially with salt water! You can easily unbolt the double fitting feed hose and check the condition of the system. BE CAREFUL ! As this fitting tends to get corroded in place and the small light duty plastic o-ring connectors tend to snap off easily, requiring the purchase of a whole new raw water feed assembly.
Obviously, this kind of preventive maintenance is critical to keeping you so equipped Mercruiser engines operating properly and avoiding major engine damage.
Don't forget about it or feel it's not necessary, you will find out later how important it was!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 11-08-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY GEN III Cool Fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.