installing shift cable bellows >

installing shift cable bellows

Notices

installing shift cable bellows

Old 02-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing shift cable bellows

I need to install a shift cable bellows and would like to know if anyone here has done it them selves? How difficult of a job is it, and do I need any special tools to do it? I am pretty handy with a wrench, and the thirsty turtle and I are always up for a challange. any advise would be great. Thanks
Mark
Old 02-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shift cable bellows is not too bad. What year and drive? Make sure to clean the mounting surface real good and use bellows adhesive. Also use a sealer where the fitting goes through the backside of the bell housing. It can be a little struggle getting a wrench on that fitting to hold it while you loosen and tighten the nut in front. Older bravos are a little more fun because you have to remove the inner cable to get the nut off.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Formula
It is a 97 Brovo one. What type of sealer and adhesive should I use? Thankyou for you help.
Mark
Old 02-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always done those with everything else apart too, so Im trying to think how I would do it by itself. Another real good source of info for this kind of question is boatered.com.

With the drive off, undo the nut where the shift cable comes out, you will have to hold the inner nut which you can get at if you hold the bell housing all the way up. Then remove the cable from the bell housing. You will have to disconnect the cable from the shift arms on the engine. all the hardware has to be removed except for the part crimped onto the outer cable. Mark or measure where everything was so hopefully it wont be too far out of adjustment when you put it back together. Then you can pull the the whole cable out through the back Then undo the clamp, and pull the bellows off. The clean the boss good and put on a new bellows after you crimp on the new front clip. The bellows adhesive should be put on the bellows and allowed to dry for a while first. Then feed the cable through the bellows (I use water with dish soap in it so it slides through easier) and reassemble.

I used the merc bellows adhesive and permatex ultrablack on the bellhousing fitting.

Do a search, there was someone who used something other than the merc bellows adhesive and said it worked fine. I dont remember what it was.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

formula
Thankyou for the info. I will give it a try.