Notices

Prop spin?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop spin?

Morning everyone, I have a question to throw out here. My 30' Sleek has a 502 w/whipple supercharger and xr drive with 1.5 ratio w/ 5 blade maximus 28 pitch. I dyno tested at 750hp and love the motor. My proplem is that as I come up to plane it sounds as if my prop breaks free and builds rpms. Once I plane out and start to gain speed it sounds as if my prop grabbs and dropps rpms and I'm able to lay into it. I don't WOT out of the hole and would like everyones advice on the cause and cure for this.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sierraspringsjay
Morning everyone, I have a question to throw out here. My 30' Sleek has a 502 w/whipple supercharger and xr drive with 1.5 ratio w/ 5 blade maximus 28 pitch. I dyno tested at 750hp and love the motor. My proplem is that as I come up to plane it sounds as if my prop breaks free and builds rpms. Once I plane out and start to gain speed it sounds as if my prop grabbs and dropps rpms and I'm able to lay into it. I don't WOT out of the hole and would like everyones advice on the cause and cure for this.
Is it just cavitating? How does it do at WOT after it hooks up?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered

It's called prop blowout. My 30P Labbed Maximus do that as I come up on to plane. Just have to learn the best throttle to keep it at a minimum. What are the rest of your specs, you may need to change the prop depending on slip percentage, top speed, and WOT rpms. My 32P Bravo's did it, too. I think you are just overpowering the props.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, I figured as much. It does great at WOT, I just was wondering if I needed a cav plate or tube or if there was something else I could try incase I'm slipping a little a WOT as well. I still need to get the prop labbed, but has been the best fit for the boat so far.