Distributor ? >

Distributor ?

Notices

Distributor ?

Old 02-23-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor ?

Would there be any difference in using a Mallory Unilite Photo-optic auto distributor vs. a Mallory Unilite Photo-optic marine distributor?

Since there is no spark, what would the difference be? Would the auto be fine to use?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the insurance issues, I think the marine cap is vented to allow fumes to ecape instead of igniting. And even if the points are not there anymore, the rotor still sparks as it passes by the post on the distributor cap, I think. Hows the weather? Did you get any snow yesterday? We got a coating.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Ok Tom, thanks for the info. My father-in-law wanted to know as he has an auto distributor already and thought he would just throw it in and buy another one and save himself a pile of $$$.

We didn't get any snow here. It's hovering around freezing with no snow on the ground. The lake and river look so nice right now I want to drop in and go for a boot. No ice anywhere to be seen.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

I used to be a big Unilite fan, but I have had trouble with the Unilites in the past. It was at least 10 years ago so maybe they have it fixed, but the advance mechanism would loosen up or break, had to replace a 540 for one of my customers because of it (it detonated). I have come to use only ignitions with no mechanical advance, like the Merc or Delco system. I am not telling you this just to sell you a system, but we do have the complete Delco kit ( I just can't remember the price, in fact I can't remember breakfast). It is pretty reasonable, I will get the price posted Monday.

Delco Ignition
Old 02-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I totally agree with marc. Even on my formula, I locked the advance on the MSD distributors and ran with no advance, Which works on the crane hi-6 because of the spark spread at idle. I have seen too many problems with mechanical advance and even the electronic ones.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

TTT, just want to know if anybody else has an opinion.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

if your just trying to get rid of points and condersor and get electronic you can use a mollory conversion kit and not have to change distributors. i think a conversion kit is $90. the marine distributors have a mesh screen usually on the underside for a mini flame arrestor in case fumes find their way inside.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a marine unit is vented at the bottom of the upper casting area to allow hydrocarbon fumes to evacuate from inside the cap.all hydrocarbon fumes are heavier than air so the literally fall out the bottom.as a distributor turns,engine blow by gases can make their way up the shaft and into the housing.these oil vapors are flammable.thusly the housing is vented to the outside world.the screen is used to prevent foriegn matter(spiders etc.
) from entering the vent hole and plugging it.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I ordered two Mallory marine distributors in early January and have not recieved them yet. I spoke with the company I bought them from (Doug Herbert Performance) and Mallory is saying that they are building them this week & next. I've been patient because it's winter, but I'm running out of time. If they aren't delivered in the next week or so, I'm cancelling my order and looking elsewhere. If you're in a hurry, call Mbam..
Old 02-28-2002, 09:43 AM
E Z TERMS

cvheck out yhe DUI distrib web site performancedistributors.com These are some cool deals. We have two boats running them doen here and they work great............plus you can keep a spare cap assy which has all the guts on it ........ As soon as my t-bolts break again im buying 2 complete assys. Price isnt too bad and delivery is 1 wk.

EZ

Quick Reply: Distributor ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.