Crankcase vapor explosion! >

Crankcase vapor explosion!

Notices

Crankcase vapor explosion!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For clarification,do you have three engines ? If yes,does each engine have it's own battery and perko switch ? Where were the perko's set for each engine ?

The port engine was running and blew when battery draw was applied,starting the second engine ? Somehow, that seems relative to where the battery/perko switch's were set.

The port engine saw enough RPM to engage the rectifier,before returning to 1,000 rpm. Therefore,subject to further variables,the alternator on any of the engines may have participated in causing a huge transit surge. Conductors,coil(s),and etc. couldn't handle the load. External arcing may not have existed,however,internal fuel soak existed and ignited from some source.

Possibly,the fuel pump and or needle(s) were leaking for some time. Logically, a lot of fuel is required to have enough force to blow both valve covers off.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CcanDo
For clarification,do you have three engines ? If yes,does each engine have it's own battery and perko switch ? Where were the perko's set for each engine ?

The port engine was running and blew when battery draw was applied,starting the second engine ? Somehow, that seems relative to where the battery/perko switch's were set.

The port engine saw enough RPM to engage the rectifier,before returning to 1,000 rpm. Therefore,subject to further variables,the alternator on any of the engines may have participated in causing a huge transit surge. Conductors,coil(s),and etc. couldn't handle the load. External arcing may not have existed,however,internal fuel soak existed and ignited from some source.

Possibly,the fuel pump and or needle(s) were leaking for some time. Logically, a lot of fuel is required to have enough force to blow both valve covers off.
Good info sir.

I still want to see a pic.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

I appreciate everyones input...

Yes it is a triple engine boat. There are 4 batteries and 4 Perko switches each set to all.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some visualize the boat is split through the middle. Each part may be thought of as an individual boat. In your case,you have three parts or three boats. Each part/boat has a separate battery,engine,gauges and etc.

Therefore,boat #1,#2 and #3 all have their own individual Perko set on their own individual battery,which is battery selection #1.

You have 4 batteries and 4 Perko's, therefore,subject to the riggers schematic,the 4th battery is intended for optional loads. Those loads would include such items as stereo, A/C and etc.

The #4 perko would remain OFF until all engines were running OR all load switches were OFF. Then the #4 Perko would be switched to #2 in/on the corresponding part/boat.

Perhaps, some ignition,injection and other electrical problems can be attributed to all switch's being set on ALL.

Another relative item is battery cable. Subject to cable length,cable size required increases expotentialy. For example,4 o or otherwise known as 0000 is seldom seen. However,typical #2 is not intended to carry a big load very far. Therefore, it is not unusual to blame a battery for starting problems,while the cables were the problem.

Therefore, the reasonable solution becomes,switching all to ALL. When all are set to ALL the toroid effect starts and transient voltage may occur.

Incidently,"Ancore Battery Cable" is high end stuff that carries more amps than most. It is also very flexible.

Hopefully,all you'll have to do is fix the seals and everything else will be fine. Good Luck !
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Never saw one blow up that bad but blew a breather off/out when I had messed a piston up and fuel went into the crankcase. For this to happen you have to have correct A/F ratio in crankcase and then a spark. I can see fuel leak past piston and possible causing correct A/F Ratio, but then a spark in crankcase?

My guess is piston with a hole in it. This would give crankcase both fuel and a spark.

Let us know when you tear motor down what you find.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grand-illusion
I appreciate everyones input...

Yes it is a triple engine boat. There are 4 batteries and 4 Perko switches each set to all.

set to all doesn't sound right to me?? my Hustler paper work says don't run in the all position

don't think that related though

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=CcanDo;2572621]

Incidentally,"Ancore Battery Cable" is high end stuff that carries more amps than most. It is also very flexible.

QUOTE]

I believe it and marine cable is tin coated.

I added a extra bank for stereo and the wire and ends are just copper or gold plate, sofar no propbs
Attached Thumbnails Crankcase vapor explosion!-motor-2-6-2008-007-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Registered

One thing I see...you need terminal covers on the right battery in your picture. Easy way to get a ticket.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had forgotten the time it sat by the time I posted...crs....anyway don't the electrical system had anything to do with it...and you are saying no boost, but that is not correct, if you ever spun a blower over at even starting rpm, there is a good bit of pressure even at that slow speed, no actual "boost" in psi but enough to force a full charge in. what you experianced is simular what drag race blower cars suffer when they get a load of fuel past a piston, ends up in the pan, fumes everywhere, fires...boom...did it damage the oil pan ? how about the dipstick(if you had a std type) seen them launched !!! Rob
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

What kind of piston to wall clearance did you have?

Just reaching here.

Quick Reply: Crankcase vapor explosion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.