Update on Gear Drive Lube Analysis Findings

Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update on Gear Drive Lube Analysis Findings

Several asked for an update:

Virgin Gearlube analysis:

Here's some interesting results. It is now evident that quick silver and mercury stern drive oils are different in make up. Here are the virgin samples of each. I find this info interesting as I was told by the dealers how they were the same and no different except for packageing.

Quick Silver........... Mercury
MO 33.......... 60
Phos 1181......... 516
Zn 17.......... 14
mag 0........ 1
Calcium 31........ 55
Si 36 ......... 0
Visc cat 15.10........ 14.51
SAE 90......... 90

It appears that QuickSilver relies more on Phos as it's anti-wear additive and the Black bottle on Moly.

Here is a virgin analysis of Redline Shockproof Heavy for comparison.:

Redline relies on a very high dose of ZDDP and phos for anti-wear. I think I like this formula better for racing.

Iron (Fe) 1
Copper (Cu) 0
Chromium (Cr) 0
Aluminum (Al) 3
Lead (Pb) 3
Tin (Sn) 5
Silicon (Si) 25
Sodium (Na) 21
Potassium (K) 11
Molybdenum (Mo) 1
Phosphorus (P) 2520
Zinc (Zn) 2820
Calcium (Ca) 2860
Magnesium (Mg) 11
Physical

Water (W) N
Fuel (F) /
Antifreeze (A) /
Viscocity At 40 C (V40) NR
Total Acid Number (Tan) 1
Total Base Number (Tbn) 4
Viscosity At 100 C (V100) 11.2
Attached Thumbnails Update on Gear Drive Lube Analysis Findings-image.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-30-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

That is shocking
Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the fact that your doing the oil analysis hydro cruiser,
but could you explain exactly what I'm looking for as far as what makes the oil good or bad, I know you have done the same with motor oils also. Just trying to understand what I'm looking at.

thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Those are 2 different products, and I don't mean the packaging. The premium gear lube is different from the Hi-performance gear lube. Both are available in either package.

Don't misunderstand, I am not sure what the analysis will show, but I think you should test the same items.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Ron:

In a marine gear lube I look for:

This happens to be 75W-90 Amsoil Marine...a real good lube.

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 130
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
216 (420.8)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-43 (-45)

Falex Procedure B (ASTM D-3233) (failure load, LbF.) 1500 http://www.astm.org/Standards/D3233.htm
Foam Stability (ASTM D-892) (20/50/20 maximum) 0/0/0 http://verity.astm.org/verity_hist.c...ITEMS&x=23&y=9

Then after all that look at the additives in an analysis.

Why are high pressure additives such as ZDDP important in a gearbox? Well as the lube is squezzed out inbetween gears it may well be the only surface to surface coating that protects the gear metals from contact and accelerated wear.

Viscosity index is a petroleum industry term. It is a lubricating oil quality indicator, an arbitrary measure for the change of kinematic viscosity with temperature. The viscosity of liquids decreases as temperature increases. The viscosity of a lubricant is closely related to its ability to reduce friction. Generally, you want the thinnest liquid/oil which still forces the two moving surfaces apart. If the lubricant is too thick, it will require a lot of energy to move the surfaces (such as in honey); if it is too thin, the surfaces will rub and friction will increase.

As stated above, the Viscosity Index highlights how a lubricant's viscosity changes with variations in temperature. Many lubricant applications require the lubricant to perform across a wide range of conditions: for example, in an engine. Automotive lubricants must reduce friction between engine components when it is started from cold (relative to engine operating temperatures) as well as when it is running (up to 200 °C). The best oils (with the highest VI) will not vary much in viscosity over such a temperature range and therefore will perform well throughout.

The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture in air. At this temperature the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed. A slightly higher temperature, the fire point, is defined as the temperature at which the vapor continues to burn after being ignited. Neither of these parameters are related to the temperatures of the ignition source or of the burning liquid, which are much higher. The flash point is often used as one descriptive characteristic of liquid fuel, but it is also used to describe liquids that are not used intentionally as fuels.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-30-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Mbam
Those are 2 different products, and I don't mean the packaging. The premium gear lube is different from the Hi-performance gear lube. Both are available in either package.

Don't misunderstand, I am not sure what the analysis will show, but I think you should test the same items.
Are HP Black bottle and HP Silver bottle the same in content? Maybe they are? Who knows. "Premium Gear lube" is different stuff".

But I am still surprised at the additive content of the UOA numbers on the earlier post and what the rational is. I would imagine that even for say a cruiser that uses premium gear lube the additives are on the light side.

However: Mercury HP now uses Extreme pressure synthetic additives according to their rep. that protect gears from metal to metal contact.
The synthetic additives may not be seen in samples submitted since the labs do not know what to look for. That may well be the case. It may be a newer formulation?

So Merc has synthetic additives in the HP and a new Semi-syn 25W-40 oil.... Synthetic rules!

I will try and get the samples re-run...as these results were done by someone else.
Attached Thumbnails Update on Gear Drive Lube Analysis Findings-img_gearlubehp.gif   Update on Gear Drive Lube Analysis Findings-560-982-00.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Are HP Black bottle and HP Silver bottle the same in content? Maybe they are?
Yes these are the same stuff. Quicksilver is valid for any Merc warranty claims, says it on the silver bottles.

your first test as stated by Mbam was not the same for same stuff.

Last edited by Downtown42; 05-31-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

I found out HP has antimony in it....which can be synthesized into a high pressure additive.

I was talking to a fellow who has had Mercury repairs out of warranty on drives if he had the green stuff in them which fortunately he did. Something to take into consideration.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-31-2008 at 02:04 PM.