Tired motor ?

Notices

Tired motor ?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powerqrudy
last year I had to tune turn the idle up because it would barely run at 650 rpms. Then it would not shift out of drive being that I had it to high, I turned it down. Now it has a harder time starting at such a low RPM. This motor is a 1986 in a older 23 Powerplay. I am thinking that the motor may be getting tired... or really just the cam ? it does not burn any oil and a few years back it had some oil pressure issues and I thougth it might be the gauge and got it back to the marina and it was the oil filter. That was 2002 ?

any ideas ?

Thanks,

Steve
22 years old, how many hour's? It may be time, compression test, leak down, if either is not up to par, rebuild it. if it's leaking thru the heads or pistons, It's just time to bit the bullet.
thats my 2 cents
Larrry
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compression test gives you a quick snapshot of whether it's a cylinder or top-end wear issue. Leakdown is a better diagnostic tool for determining where the problem lies. I always put a dial indiicator on the rockers to see if I have cam wear- it's not uncommon at all to see worn lobes on these engines.

I would not suggest a big block on an Alpha. Merc tried it and smoked alot of drives. Much over 300 horse is going to shorten the life of a fresh one. If yours hasn't been open in a while, it's safe to assume the clearances are widened- adding power is the last thing it needs.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it does have a rebuilt carb like 6 seasons ago. But I do have a Performer RPM with a adapter plate ...could that be a issue ?

Yea it may be time...to bite the bullet.