Water in bilge problem identified...now to fix it

Notices

Water in bilge problem identified...now to fix it

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in bilge problem identified...now to fix it

Ok, here's the back-story...

Last year, noticed a ton of water in the bilge after every few hours or so. Figure'd it was a leak at the transom (tiller arm seal, bellows, etc.). Had it checked, no problem with the bellows...had an appt. in July to have the motor/outdrive pulled and the transom assembly removed and rebuilt and everything put back in to the tune of around $3000.

Well, it's none of that. I have a leak in the starboard exhaust. It's coming out between the exhasut hose and exhaust tip and shoots out towards the transom. It's a real small, high pressure spray. It's so small and runs right down into the bilge that I never even noticed it before. The problem, other than the accumulation in the bilge and subsequent splashing up onto the motor, is the fine salty mist that covers the motor and everything else in the engine compartment. Think Merc's black paint is thick and corrosion proof...wrong !!

Needless to say, I'm happy as hell that the transom is good to go. Before I disassemble the riser, diverter and hoses...is this something anyone else has experienced or is it too general a problem ? I tightened the sh*t out of the two clamps on the hose to no avail, btw.

Any suggestions ? Oh yeah, the diverters are two years old not the originals. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow anyway so if I don't hear from anyone I'll post the results.

Rock
Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be very fearful and suspect of ANY marine exhaust. A small percentage of people get lucky and find leaks externally. Most leak internally, either damaging or ruining engines. I'd pull them off and check everything.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wet exhaust system. As the water exits the riser and goes through the Corsa diverters, some of the water is leaking out of the hose that connects the diverter to the exhaust tip. I may just need two new, good clamps. I'll know when I take the riser, etc. off and check it out. Thanks for the input.

Rock