No Spark Question?? >

No Spark Question??

Notices

No Spark Question??

Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No Spark Question??

I have a 502 with an "all-in-one" MSD distruibuter and MSD coil. The other day the engine was running fine and then just quit. Rolls over fine but when I pulled a plug, no spark. I canged the coil and still no spark. The rotor looks ok and there was quite a bit of carbon/build up on the cap. I cleaned the cap up a little and tried it again, still no spark? What else can i check? Would like to try and fix myself but the only thing I know what to do i have already done. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, MIKE
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like you MSD box went out
Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Friend had the same problem, bought a new MSD box still no spark. Found out the gear on the distributor got chewed up. Check to see if your rotor is turning with cap off before spending a few hundred on a new box.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shift interupt? . neutral safety?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

I dont have a seperate MSD box, it is a Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run #8360 distributer. I tried moving the shifter a little while i was turning the engine over to see if had something to do with not thinking it was in neutral but still nothing. I will have to check if the rotor is turning. Hopefully it isnt a bad gear, that has happened to me before, because of a walking cam which required a entire rebuilt. If the coil is good, what can i check in the distributer to see if anything is bad? MIKE
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to check and see if you have 12v at the wire on the coil. Make sure you are getting power there first.

If not, then you may have a ign switch problem, broken wire, kill switch issue(lanyard loose?), etc.

If you do have 12V, possibly a bad module or pickup in the distributor.

Im bettin that you are not getting power to the coil. Get a voltmeter or test light.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very common to have a lot of moisture and corrosion inside the distributor cap on MSD ignitions. Pull the cap and check the pick-up/igntion module connections. Those little terminals tend to corrode and break.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Looked at it last night and found hardly no power at the coil. My OHM reader wasnt working but when i put the test light to it, it had a very faint glow. So i checked the ignition switch wires and found the consistant hot wire very loose. I tightened it up and still no power at the coil. Also, after having the key in the "on" position for a couple minutes, the hot wire at the ign switch was extreamly hot (hot to touch) at the switch. This must be a ground issue??? I checked the grounds off the battery and also the wires at the selonoid off the starter and everything looked ok and tight. A little lost on where to go from here. Should i use a jumper off the battery to the coil to make sure everything else is ok and i have spark from there on out? MIKE
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At your ign switch , check for output on the ign circut. It will be the one that stays hot when cranking. If nothing comes through the switch you can "hot wire" it there and check that power will go to the coil. sounds like a bad ign/key switch.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hunster
At your ign switch , check for output on the ign circut. It will be the one that stays hot when cranking. If nothing comes through the switch you can "hot wire" it there and check that power will go to the coil. sounds like a bad ign/key switch.
So your talking about the hot wire that sends power to the coil when the key is in the ON position and not the one that sends power to the seloniod when in the CRANK postition right? And when the key is turned to CRANK the other hot to the coil will maybe loose power? Would a bad ignition switch still be able to turn the motor over and also send power to the gauges when ON? Because when i turn the key to ON the the gauges do still turn on which shows that power is coming off the switch itself. Sorry, i might be rambling but i want to be clear. MIKE

Quick Reply: No Spark Question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.