Stereo Questions >

Stereo Questions

Notices

Stereo Questions

Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Questions

Afew questions before I put my order together.

1 alpine pdx 1.1000 class d amp,this is a 1 channel amp so do I wire both subs bridging them?

2.1 pdx 4.150 class d amp 4 channel which will run 4 7/3/4 '' JL audio m770 is this ok?

3.kenwood mr400 radio with remote,it has 3 preamp outputs,can you use a radio with only 2?

4.2 10 inch mb quartz subs with 4 ohm 150 watts can these be run free air or enclosed?

I could probably knock 500 bucks off the system using kicker amps and a different speakers but if anything the speakers are probably the most important.Im ok with this package for 2k though.

Any comments,
Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

A class D 4 channel amp is more efficient but it wont have the same sound quality as a class A/B. I would go with the Kicker amp the last alpine I bought didn't even last a year.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

1. yes--run the subs wired in parallel.

2. the 4.150 will actually put out more like 4 x 175 watts. It comes with a test card and my 4.100 puts out 127watts x 4. Make sure to adjust the gain control so you don't blow the speakers. My speakers are 80watt rms and I have the gain at about 2/3 on my 4.100.

The PDX amps rock. They are a digital amp and not like a normal class D. I have a 4.100 and am very impressed with it. Lower power draw, low heat compared to an A B amp and compact size. I'm definately going to get another PDX amp when I do my next upgrade.

3. You can use a head unit with 2 preouts. You just have to get a Y adapter and split 2 of the pre outs.

4. I don't know about the MB quarts subs, but you may want to look at the new Alpine Marine subs. They are rated at 300 watts and are free air. They are about $350 for a pair on ebay.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

yes u can run a radio w/ only 2 preouts, you would just need to use some splitters because i dont think the alpine has a switch to set it to run in 4ch mode w/ only 2 ch input. the other preout would have to go to the sub amp. Using 3 preouts is probably better tho because it gives u fade & sub control from the unit. i had the kenwood in my old boat & it was a good unit.

i doubt you will notice any sound quality using a class d over a/b. accoustics are poor out on the water & at speed. ive heard the pdx amps in boats & they sounded great.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Talking

Thanks, Now if only stereo online.com would pick up the fn phone I would give them my money! Called these bastards twice left message no call back.Im going to ebay.Any other websites to order from????
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Actually, the alpine pdx's do have a switch to run 4 speakers from a 2 channel input. I forgot about that since I'm not using it, but remember seeing it in my manual.

I ordered mine off ebay from one of the big sellers.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

why are you running 150watt subs with a 1000 watt amp? The enclosure you put a sub in has a lot to do with the power handling of the driver. For subs go check out edesignaudio.com they source their own drivers and provide lots of data and help in matching your drivers to your enclosure. Don't "wing it" with subs. The difference between the right subs in the right enclosure and "a cool looking speaker crammed into whatever you happen to have" is very big.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
why are you running 150watt subs with a 1000 watt amp? The enclosure you put a sub in has a lot to do with the power handling of the driver. For subs go check out edesignaudio.com they source their own drivers and provide lots of data and help in matching your drivers to your enclosure. Don't "wing it" with subs. The difference between the right subs in the right enclosure and "a cool looking speaker crammed into whatever you happen to have" is very big.
I will look into that,Where have ya been Man?? Glad to see you on the board. Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Talking

Heres what Im looking to do.
The skater has access holes on each sponson to climb into the front they are approx 20"x 20" wide.They are on the left and right approx 3 feet behind dash at firewall.I want to mount the subs on each sponson and use that huge space for the sub enclosure.It is basically sealed but large will this work or do I need to put the subs in a 20x 20 box?
?

Free air subs closed??
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Talking

To answer my own question above ,I think that bigger is not going to be better. What about bass tubes any good??

Quick Reply: Stereo Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.