Is the timing causing my idle problems? >

Is the timing causing my idle problems?

Notices

Is the timing causing my idle problems?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the timing causing my idle problems?

I am still working on my idle. I have the mid-range and top end AF ratio pretty close with the 1150 Dominators using 3.5 PV's and 87 X 88 jets. The AF ratio is steady @ 13.5-13.6 from 3000-5200 RPM. At 5300 RPM, the PV's open and the AF ratio drops to 12.5-12.6. I am good with this...but I am still working on the idle spread in and out of gear.
Looking at some other comments on other threads, it occurred to me that the MSD ignition (mechanical advance)may be part of the issue. On previous engines, I didn't have these idle variances with the Merc Thunderbolt IV and the V-6 box. My total timing is at 40 degrees.
Looking at the MSD website and the various distributor spring and bushing combinations, it appears the MSD timing curve advances approx 3-4 degrees from 700-1200 RPM. Does this indicate that locking out the timing advance could be a good method to reduce the RPM spread going from in-gear to neutral?
On my next trip, I will see what the actual timing difference is between 700 & 1200 RPM.
Does anybody have any positive experience with locking out the MSD advance?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine locked out at 34 deg. But i also have a msd start retard box ,that retards the timing back 20 deg. when you start it . The starter likes it alot.I havei not had any problems with it .
Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The timming swing in that rpm range can cause the idle to suck. I had same problem until I was told to lock out timing. I had max at 30. Solved all of my problems. Max of 40 might be a problem being locked out. I would try stiffer springs so timing starts coming in later.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered

what initial is the timing now ? 40 total is a lot for a marine engine..what compression are you running ? but yes locking the timing at 34-36 really cleans the idle up a lot, I run a locked MSD dist in my race car and it starts fine, but only a 9-1 comp motor, locking the msd dist is a easy, but you have to remove and take apart, Rob
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rob,
I appreciate your comments. I talked to MSD today and in the end, I felt like they do not have a very good understanding of the issues in a marine application with their limited offering of springs and bushings. Yes, you can lock out the advance but now you might need an electronic start/retard to have reliable starting. Also, for me this would have to be winter re-rig project.
One OSO'er PM'ed me that he replaced his MSD springs with an small o-ring...full advance quickly and fixed his idle issues!
I suggested to MSD that they might consider including a "extra light" spring and bushing combination that would allow for retarded timing at cranking RPM and then full advance at 500-600 RPM...not by relying on electronic bolt on devices.
At then end of the day, I'm starting to think a mechanical advance distributor is marginal for marine use unless it is for a full time race set-up.
I wish I never would have never sold my Mercury Thunderbolt IV and V-6 boxes....
Oh well, just another challenge.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Wow 40 degress of timing seems kinda high. Might want to back that down to 36 or 38. But if you look your Dist. you just need to have a set-up to crank the engine over with the ignition off. Once its cranking flip ignition on. This will solve the lock out issue/starting issue.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Butz,
40 degrees may seem like a lot, but it is the right timing for this combination. Iron heads, efficient chamber, 9.3 CR. This timing makes the most power with no detonation. I do use 93 octane gas.
I will either re-rig with auxiliary cranking switches this winter or find the right light springs. These solutions all seem like patches for what MSD should offer with their marine ignition system.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

Good deal just did not want you to hurt the engine.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Please take this constructively -

I'm with Vincent, I have never seen a big block Chevy marine engine that wanted more than 36 degrees total. I will say it has been a few years since I built one, but I did my share back in the day. The newer heads actually need less.

Why do you think the PV's are opening at 5300? Antyhing more than cruising speed and your manifold vac is going to be very close to 0 - hence open PV.

Yes - eliminate the timing moving around at idle, will help a lot.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Marc and Vincent,
I understand the scepticism on 40 degrees. I have raced most of this current combination since the late 90's. The 40 degree timing has been confirmed as optimal on the dyno at Tyler Crocketts, Keith Eickert's, Sterling Performance, and MRE Power Products. Tyler, Keith, Mike D and Mike R were all either watching, participating, or wrenching. Tyler and Mike R build engines for me. An MSD knock sensor was used while running on each dyno. The max HP (no detonation) on pump gas was at 40 degrees timing from 3500 to 7000 RPM. (we ran race gas at Sterlings as that is how his shop is set up) What about 42 degrees? 0-3 HP...not worth the stress.
Will the engine last? We finished every APBA race over 13 years (2-6 races yr) and never had an engine failure racing. I started with 468 CI, GM Sq port heads and cast iron exhaust in 1988...with 34 degrees timing.
Bottom line...I am old school, but 36-38 is really old school if you have the heads, cam, combustion chamber, piston shape, etc. These APBA 1997-2002 A/B Class legal engines made 750-765 HP @ 6800 RPM (depending on the dyno) on pump gas with CMI race E-tops...820 HP with 2.25 Big Tubes in 2007.
Power valves: I tested 6/08 in the boat with an Innovate Motor Sports A/F ratio gauge. From 3000-5300 RPM the A/F ratio is steady at 13.5-13.6. At approx 5300 RPM, the A/F ratio drops from 13.5 to 12.5. We were testing with steady acceleration, not WOT.

Quick Reply: Is the timing causing my idle problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.