Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496HO Blowby >

496HO Blowby

Notices

496HO Blowby

Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great oppuertuity to upgrade to some Big Power Raylar heads!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to my knowledge did any of the 496s have forged pistons, although Ray might be able to confirm or dismay this.

I had no indication of the problem, other than a slight oily residue around the dipstick flange. The engine didn't make any strange noises, there was no noticable vibration and it was very difficult to see the small amount of oil in the exhaust steam.

We are going to pull the codes from both the damaged motor and the remaining one this week. I'll keep ya posted on the progress...
Jeff
Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Sounds like a great oppuertuity to upgrade to some Big Power Raylar heads!
If it wasn't the middle of our boating season, I would have been looking to pull both motors and drop in Ray's forged pistons.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
If it wasn't the middle of our boating season, I would have been looking to pull both motors and drop in Ray's forged pistons.
I forgot your dealing with twins...Big difference. Were you able to salvage your heads...because there are alot of those take offs sitting around these parts.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I forgot your dealing with twins...Big difference. Were you able to salvage your heads...because there are alot of those take offs sitting around these parts.
Yeah, the heads look fine, but if pressure testing reveals a problem, I might hit the boards here to find a couple.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered

Dropped the motor back in yesturday, however the builder told me he tested all the injectors without finding a problem. We will be firing the motor this afternoon and pulling the ECM data logs in hopes of finding some clues.

I did purchase several cans of Sea-Foam and plan to remove the water sepparator fuel filter, pouring out 1/2 the fuel and adding Sea-Foam to clean the system on the remaining motor. Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

I've done Sea foam in the filter with diesels...But it won't hurt a gas engine...It will smoke like nothing you've seen before. It will also be hard to start...If it was me I would start it up first on gas and make sure everything runs smooth then hit it with some sea foam.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

The new motor I am only planning on adding the Sea-Foam to the tank, but the untouched motor (with 200 hours) I was going to try the Sea-Foam in the filter.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Mind if I ask what kind of oil you were running and looks like a NAPA filter. Looked like lots of pitson scoring on the cylinder wall.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-26-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Registered

I only use the Merc 25-40 and merc filters, but i'm not sure what the builder used for oil and yes he installed a napa filter. You can see in the first picture of the last group the merc water/fuel filter that I installed at the end of last season.

Quick Reply: 496HO Blowby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.